Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gzc721 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Ceiling fan wiring
    We are attempting to change out the ceiling fan in my daughter's room. We took off the old fan and found that there are 3 white wires, three black wires, and ONLY the white wires were being used to run the old fan.
    The three blacks were bundled together and taped off connecting to NOTHING.
    How do we hook up the new fan without burning down the house.
    My husband has check the closet light, the two outlets, and the light switch to see if the extra wires are running to those and they aren't. There is no power to 4 of them.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
    If you remove the cover plate on the wall switch you will probably see a black wire and a white wire connected to the switch , they are probably using the white wire to the fan as the hot leg and picking up the neutral in the box at the ceiling, this can be verified with a volt meter and turning the switch on and off to determine if this is what is the case ( usually the white wire is wrapped with black tape to mark it ) Mike
    gzc721 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
    We have discovered that one of the black wires is the lead (? ) and one of them controls the bathroom right next to the bedroom. We can't find out which white one goes to what. We did what Mike suggested, but it isn't working.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Ok, how was the old fan connected?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan wiring, 2 blk, 2 what, 1 red, 1 grn from ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a hampden bay minuet 2 fan. The prexisting ceiling wires consist of two black, two white, 1 red, and my ground wire. A basic lite fixture was installed previously and controlled by a single wall switch. The wall switch has 1 red on the bottom and two black on the top...

Ceiling Fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Did I just mix up the white wires. After wiring and hanging my ceiling fan, I noticed when the switch is off, there is power to the light and fan and when the switch is on power is only to the light. There were 3 bundled black wires from the ceiling, two whites bundled, and one single white, as...

Wiring ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Hampton Ceiling Fan. I have assembled the fan without difficulty and have begun to wire the fan. The directions are simple in terms of white to white, black to black and ground to ground. However, the ceiling outlet that was pre-wired for a fan with a wall switch also...

Wiring a ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

We are remodeling our bathroom and have installed a ceiling fan. We removed a double outlet socket and are replacing it with a combination switch/socket device. Outlet and switch. The incoming wires are the following: 1. Black, white, and ground from the fan. 2. Black, white, red, and ground...

Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

My new Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan w/lights says to connect the blue and black wires to the black wire and the white to the white. However, my ceiling junction box just has two white wires. I tried connecting the blue and black wires to one white wire and the white wire to the other white wire. The...

View more questions Search