Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NCdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 06:25 PM
    BUZZ on the outside unit of my A/C (heat pump)
    The A/C of my heat pump is still working fine... but suddenly the outside unit started having this BUZZ when the unit is running. Everything seems to be working fine, the house is cool and the unit cycles nicely. Should I do something to prevent failure in the future? Thanks
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
    This buzz is probably the contactor, if you open the panel while it is running you can detect what it is (be carefull) if it is a low voltage (24 volts) problem that can make it chatter, or dirty contacts or perhaps rusty , and yes it tells you that it is not making good contact and needs attention. Mike
    NCdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Do I clean the old contactor or buy a new one? Where do you buy them?? Lowe's? Are they all the same... maybe I get a number off the old one?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 08:09 PM
    You have to buy them from a A/c supply house (WW Graingers) They are sold by amp rating and coil voltage ,also the number of poles,(count the number of the bars in the contactor that move when the contactor is operated usually one, two , or three), you can get this information from the old contactor , Mike
    bsaah Posts: 66, Reputation: 0

Mar 31, 2008, 02:28 PM
    This is a compressor problem the older the compressor the mpre warn out it gets
    Shaggyda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 08:16 PM
    I have the same problem but more of a grinding buzz. They are about a minute apart in both heat and cool. I changed the contactor, but no luck. Any other sugestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intermittent buzz from electric heat pump [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I did a quick search for my problem and couldn't find any answers. I have a Bryant heat pump that is making an intermittent buzzing sound. It sounds like an alarm type of buzz, It sounds kind of like a "let someone into your apartment door buzzer". It only lasts for about a second, and happens...

Transformer buzz on heat pump [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new heat pump/furnace/airconditioner installed (Trane) and you can hear the "buzz" of the transformer on the outside unit all of the time. Our old unit did this, but I always assumed it was because it was getting old and something was wrong. Is this normal? And why is the...

Heat pump condensing unit will not shut off [ 4 Answers ]

My heat pump condensing unit has been running for several hours now without shutting off. It is blowing out cool air. When I turn unit off manually and turn back on, you can feel the heat for a few minutes and then it goes back to cool. Please help...

RUUD Heat Pump Outside Unit Fan not coming on [ 1 Answers ]

I just closed on my house - made one payment and the outside heat pump is not working!! About 3-4 weeks ago the fan on the outdside unit just sounded a little rough, almost a slight grind/knocking noise- although nothing major or too out of the ordinary for a fan motor ,just a little bit...

Strange Breaker problems with Heat pump and AC unit [ 1 Answers ]

Recently we have been having strange issues with our breakers. :confused: Typically if we have more than 2 appliances running in the kitchen, the GFI outlets will pop the breaker. We just reset it, and try not to use too many things at once. This is fine. :rolleyes: But... yesterday, I...

View more questions Search