Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kph8720 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Air Conditioning Drainage
    I'm installing a new central air conditioning unit in my attic. I'd prefer to tie the drain line for the condensation into my existing plumbing system instead of having it drain to outside the house. Is this permissible? I have an 1 1/2" vertical drain line that serves a vanity with the pipe continuing up vertically above the vanity to serve as the vent. I'd like to tie into this line. Should I tie in above or below the T that serves the vanity?

Thanks Kevin
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kph8720
    I'm installing a new central air conditioning unit in my attic. I'd prefer to tie the drain line for the condensation into my existing plumbing system instead of having it drain to outside the house. Is this permissible? I have an 1 1/2" vertical drain line that serves a vanity with the pipe continuing up vertically above the vanity to serve as the vent. I'd like to tie into this line. Should I tie in above or below the T that serves the vanity?

Thanks Kevin
    Hey Kev,
    Code forbids connecting a sump pump discharge, water heater t&P valve and pan drain or a AC condensate line to your drainage. They leave you with a direct opening to the sewer with no seal for sewer gas. However you may "bootleg" a connection into the lav drain providing you tie the AC line in upstream,(above) the lavatory trap. Good luck, Tom
    kph8720 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 11:41 AM
    Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I had thought about the sewer gas, but didn't know if there was a way around it. This definitely has to pass inspection so I'll have to route it directly outside.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2005, 03:19 PM
    Tom, would it be legal if he put in a trap on the condensate drain?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Tom, would it be legal if he put in a trap on the condensate drain?
    I thought about that myself but if you connected to the tail piece above the lavatory trap you will have double trapped the condensate drain. ILLEGAL!
    Say we tied into the stubout AFTER the lav trap. No double trap here.
    However since the AC is off during the winter months, and the air inside a heated house becomes dry, the trap seal in a 3/4" drain could evaporate and let sewer gas escape into the AC condensate pan.
    Hey!! The Code Book deals with "possibilities" not "probabilities". Case in point is the dreaded backflow preventer. And now you know the rest of the story. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioning Maintenance [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Forum, How do I get to remove fine cement dust, caked on evaporator coil, off the coils - without damagingthe fins - in order to improve heat exchange. My air conditioner is located in a cement production environment. During its operation, cement dust settles on the coils and starts to...

Air Conditioning issues [ 3 Answers ]

I did do a search and no thread seemed to answer my problem. We have had a pretty bad heat wave this year in OK and have really been testing our AC in the house. Well about 2 weeks ago it started weakening its effectiveness (Its 110 outside but it keeps it approx 80 inside) so it is working just...

Air conditioning mishap [ 2 Answers ]

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about all things mechanical/electrical, but here we go... I was trimming around my rheem a/c unit with my weedeater and accidentally snagged a thin brown wire and gave it a REALLY hard yank. I stopped and gingerly checked to make sure it was still connected...

Air Conditioning [ 7 Answers ]

You should have 5 wires running to the outside unit. 2 big heavy, insulated ones plus a ground from the breaker outside by the unit, and a couple of little insulated ones coming out from the furnace. With the thermostat calling for cooling, the big ones should have 240 V between them and the...

View more questions Search