Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Jul 2, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Changing gas to electric
    I am thinking of buying a home. The one I want uses gas for heating and cooking. How hard would it be to convert that to electric? I am terrified of blowing myself up in a home that has gas. The house I am looking at is about a 100 years old. Any information would be great.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 2, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Changing from gas to electric for the stove is not too difficult - obviously you need a new stove, and if there isn't already a 220 volt line to the kitchen you will have to have an electrician install one. As for the heat - you're talking about a whole new furnace unit, or perhaps electric baseboard. This could cost several thousand $$.

I would encourage you to stick with gas, and not make the change. In general, gas is more efficient than electric, so costs less to run. Plus, personally I find that a gas range is much, much better than electric - you can control the temp setting much better. I believe that homes with gas have higher resale value than those that don't.

You shouldn't be to afraid of gas. Problems do occur, but then again people also get electrocuted! Use common sense, and you will be quite pleased with gas heat and cooking.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 2, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Ebaines is correct, I'd stay with gas or propane over electric. In my area an electric water heater cost 3x more to run than propane. My home was electric heat origionally and I switched that out too. Homes blowing up from gas are quite rare, never ever seen one personally.
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Jul 2, 2007, 12:26 PM
    What about pilot lights blowing out and filling your home with gas or things like that? Yes I have probably watched too many TV shows but since I know nothing about gas all I can think is kaboom.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 2, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Assuming you have appliances that are less than 30 years old - if the pilot goes out, gas stops flowing. There's a device called a "pilot sensor" that controls this.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Yep, too many TV shows. Most appliances don't even have a pilot any more, they have spark ignitors. On an old appliance the pilot blows out and the thermcouple won't allow any fuel to reach the burner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas or electric [ 2 Answers ]

OK now, what my weed eater seized up and now its useless when I buy a new one should I buy gas powered or electric. Which will last longer and which will get the job done more efficiently ?

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Changing light switches and now electric plugs don't work [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to change the light switches in my apartment. I found out after taking out the old switch, that there is no ground but there were 3 separate black wires coming from the box. I changed the old to the new switch, but since there were 3 black cables coming out, I only back mounted 2 of the...

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I'm buying a home in southern WV which is gas heated and has electric a/c. The current owners pay $123 and $35 per month respectfully on the budget plan which seems way out of kilter to me. Notwithstanding the individual user differences and that the price of electricity here is way less...

Gas Vs. Electric [ 12 Answers ]

I am terrible with engines so I was considering getting all electric Lawn equipment. What do you think I would be sacrificing ? I have a zero Lot line so I don't have that much to cut and Some of the equipment is wireless.

View more questions Search