Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bleachboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Black soot at my office
    I sit directly under a air vent in my office building which is an older 8 story building. Every year when the air conditioner get going my desk gets sprayed with small black flakes. They are very small and hard but can be easily crushed into a power. I would guess its some type of carbon build up. The real question is this harmful to my health? The particals are gross and a pain to clean but it not normally anything I concern myself with. What is this stuff? Do I need to worry? Thanks for your info.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
    It is tough to say what it is. It could be mildew that forms on the insulation of the ductwork if it is lined on the interior of the ducts as in many commercial applications. The higher blower speed is knocking it loose. Yes it can be dangerous, and all of this is just a guess, since I can't see the system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Soot [ 7 Answers ]

Checked my gas furnace filter and found it to be totally black. This condition occurred a few months earlier this year. The filter is changed monthly,so there were two filter changes that appeared normal. Is my flue loading? The furnace is 8yrs. Old.

Hot water heater black inky soot [ 3 Answers ]

My hot water heater occasionally (2 x per year) eliminates a black inky/soot substance into our sink. The water heater is a Reliance Gold with a 10 yr. warranty

Office 2003 vs office 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

OK, so my new tablet laptop has a 3-month free trial for MS Office 2003... my ? Is, if I create a bunch of documents in Office 2003, will I still be able to work/edit them in Office 2000 once the 3-month trial of Office 2003 is over?

Soot on walls, shadows of framing visible on ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

We have a trane gas furnace, have noticed light film of soot on walls and just about everything else in the house. Can see shadows of wall framing on some walls and ceiling. It is quite noticeable around registers on floor on carpet and at baseboard on exterior walls. Had 2 different heating...

Black soot in apartment [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter moved in to a fairly new apartment with heat & air that comes from an electrical unit at the front of the apartment. The unit is similar to something you would see in a hotel room. There is black soot that is on her things. When you rub your finger through it it smears. Does anyone...

View more questions Search