Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nrichardson12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 08:22 AM
    AC making loud noise
    I don't know anything about air conditioners, so excuse me if I sound stupid. The part of the air conditioner that is in my basement (the part that is inside, not outside) is making a much louder noise than usual when running. It is still cooling fine, but the noise can not be normal. Please Help.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 06:40 PM
    First you have to determine what is making the noise. Is it a rattle, a hum, a banging noise. Or is it a noise of air moving. Check the door to make sure it is in place.
    nrichardson12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 07:56 PM
    It is pretty much the same noise the A/C usually makes when it is running, just much louder.
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jun 21, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Try changing the filter. A 'usual' noise from an air handler is the sound of air passing through the filter and evaporator coils, in addition to the fan running. Check the coil and make sure it's not iced up.

If those are fine, it could be a bad motor.
    Lynn00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Hello I have a window AC and it making a loud rattle, and a hum, sound how do I make it stop it annoying and even at night when you trying to sleep it annoying and can't hardly sleep that good cause of it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Indoor AC/heating unit making loud noise [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Day&Night central forced air unit that will make the large duct work that connects to all the smaller ducts to it vibrate and it makes a vibrating noise so loud that we can hear it upstairs. When I first turn the unit on it will be fine but after a minute or so the vibrating begins and...

My ceiling fan is making a loud noise [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and a few months ago it started making a really loud humming sound all of the time. I have no idea how to fix it. We tried WD 40 but nothing changed. Please help, the noise is driving me crazy!

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

View more questions Search