Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgill192007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 11:59 PM
    Air Conditioner Unit Outside Making a Clicking Sound
    I live in Texas and it's really hot already and I noticed last night that my Air Conditioner unit outside is making a weird clicking sound. The fan was turning last night but today it stopped working. It is around 81 degrees in my house right now and I need to know what is going on to fix this right away. It was also fighting to come on last night and it's making my lights flicker on and off. Please help me figure this out!! Thank you so much!!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 12:42 AM
    Sounds like you have a short circuit. Start by checking the fuses outside to make sure they are good. If they are good the clicking sound might be the contactor for the compressor.
    amandaE Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
    [QUOTE=hvac1000;466516]Sounds like you have a short circuit. Start by checking the fuses outside to make sure they are good. If they are good the clicking sound might be the contactor for the compressor.[/ what is the contactor?QUOTE]
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 01:18 PM
    [QUOTE=amandaE;3204269]
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Sounds like you have a short circuit. Start by checking the fuses outside to make sure they are good. If they are good the clicking sound might be the contactor for the compressor.[/ what is the contactor?QUOTE]

The contactor/starter is the control in the outside unit that clicks on when the unit is supposed to start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Conditioner Unit does not work [ 10 Answers ]

I'll try to keep this as short as possible but I've been fighting the problem for over a month now and it's getting a tad warm here in Las Vegas. My problem is very similar to MSdavid's. I had a similar problem last July and the A/C repair guy replaced the run capacitor which resolved the...

Central Air Conditioner Unit does not work and buzzes [ 3 Answers ]

My central air conditioner unit ( outside) does not work.. . When I apply power to the unit the fan does not turn on but the unit makes a buzzing sound every 15 seconds or so.. it sounds like it wants to start but cannot.. if I stand beside the unit, the fan does not turn but every 10-20 seconds I...

Smell in air conditioner unit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a odd - stale - odor coming from my vents when we turn on our airconditioner. I have changed the filters and it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? Could it be coming from condenser outside?

Central air conditioner unit outside problems [ 7 Answers ]

At the end of the season last year we noticed in the central air conditioning unit outside that there was a clicking noise and then smelled like something burning. I am worried about this and what it may be? Cost wise? And going to have to do something since the hot weather will be here very soon....

Toilet clicking sound [ 5 Answers ]

I hear a loud click at times after the toilet has stopped running, it also runs for a few seconds at times. COuld this be caused by air in the lines?

View more questions Search