Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    herbison8 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 10:24 PM
    Replaced Fan Limit Switch, but fan still won't stop!
    Hi everyone, Im new here. Well I have a 1987 Olsen Forced air furnace. I've been in this house now for about 4 months. I realized one day that the furnace fan didn't shut off. I did some searching and decided it must be a faulty fan limit switch. I got the correct Honeywell replacement limit switch, shut off the power, installed it, and as soon as I turned the power back on the fan started instantly. It just won't shut off, I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 22, 2009, 10:27 PM

Did you put the switch to AUTO on the fan cycle/limit?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Have you checked your thermostat fan control? There is an ON or AUTO position on some thermostats, if it's set to ON the fan runs continuously.

Jan 22, 2009, 10:31 PM

Limit switch is pulled out into the auto position.
    The thermostat fan control is set to auto as well.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 11:12 PM

Come on guys. The most common reason why the blower keeps running is a defective blower relay assuming the simplest of blower controls. The blower relay contacts are most likely fused.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 22, 2009, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Come on guys. The most common reason why the blower keeps running is a defective blower relay assuming the simplest of blower controls. The blower relay contacts are most likely fused.
    Not with this type of control. With newer systems that have circuit boards, yes this could be an issue but with a combination Fan/Limit switch there is no relay to stick.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 11:41 PM

It happened with an old Armstrong I worked on. Fan center and limit control. Fan relay stuck. The limit control had the summer/winter mode too.

I don't know anything about an Olsen furnace.

Jan 23, 2009, 12:17 AM
    Ok so how do I know if I have a blower relay? If so what do you mean by fused?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2009, 04:50 AM
    Post a few pics of the unit if you can. Does the system have air conditioning? As KISS said, fused means stuck together, like a spot weld.

Jan 23, 2009, 11:17 AM

Yes it has Air Conditioning, and I do remember hearing a lot of clicking when the fan used to turn on and off (functioning properly). Like when a relay makes that clicking noise, except it wasn't just one click it was a whole bunch, sometimes more than other times. Maybe there is a relay somewhere. Ill post pics as soon as I can
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 11:22 AM

Do you have anything that looks like this?

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...Cat_pg_106.pdf
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2009, 06:31 PM
    The fan limit switch is a heating control. If the unit has air conditioning then there is a blower relay somewhere as well.

Jan 28, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Got it fixed! I messed with the limit switch settings a little bit and Viola! She's working. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced Pull Chain Switch - Fan does not stop [ 1 Answers ]

I have hunters FAN. Its pull chain broke so I brought another 4 wire (3 spped fan switch) from Home Depot. I noted the location of existing wired as L - Black 1- Grey 2- Brown 3- Green I replaced the switch with same color coding of wire. Now the Fan runs only on 2 speed and does not stop at...

Goodman limit switch/pressure switch? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a goodman furnace (mod. # GHT070-3) it's about 5 years old. Recently, the heat will only kick on for about 30 seconds then shut off. It's giving me 4 flashes: Open limit switch, then it kicks off. After that it gives me 3 flashes and turns back on (pressure switch). It seems the...

Replaced open limit switch too many times. [ 11 Answers ]

I have replaced the open limit switch on my furnace four times in the last four years. I just replaced it today, again and the furnace will not kick in unless I turn off the thermostat and restart it. After several attempts it will start, but will run fine a couple of times then I will do the...

Replaced pull chain switch, now fan won't stop turning [ 5 Answers ]

First I want to say thanks for the help so far. I had to replace the pull chain switch in a Hampton Bay fan. I was unsure of the wire configuration and was able to find some helpful information to get me started. I have installed the switch and the fan now works on all 3 speeds, but it will not...

View more questions Search