Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    western1969 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Air conditioner not cooling 1989 nissan truck
    Posted last night but doesn't show today.

I have to add a can of r12 every 2-3 years so wasn't surprised when ac quit cooling.

Added a can, didn't check site glass. Very little improvement. Added 2nd looked at site glass saw a little streak of bubbles that quickly disappeared. AC got cool but not cold. Drove about 30 miles and it wasn't cooling at all. Got out book and it said at 80 degrees low side should be 20-27 psi. Check and it was 0. Added some more and it quickly rose to 30. No help on cooling. Let it idle and compressor started kicking off for a minute every 4 minutes or so. In checking for leaks I found the high side was boiling the soapy water. A food thermometer read 195 F.

When I switch off the ac the low side ran up to 95 psi. Turned it back on and it dropped to about a third of the way into the red (vaccum) and stayed there. Adding more freon the compressor started laboring and stalling.

The high side connector is too small for my high side gauge connector. I suspect a blockage in the expansion valve or the dryer. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated...

Wes
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Right now you are over charged. It should level off to around 80psi when shut off. You can buy the adapter to fit your high side at auto store.
    Sounds to me blockage in the expansion valve. A truck of your age should have the drier replaced. Good chance of blockage. It's a filter!
    Ok, here's what I'd do. At this point, if all this work is going to be done, then buy a conversion kit to R134A. If it does spring more leaks, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to recharge.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Replace the TXV and drier, vacuum the system, and refill.

Jun 14, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Thanks to both of you, I loaded up on r12 when it was being discontinued, if I switch to 134 I can probably sell the r12 for more than enough to pay for the repair.. hmmmmm

Jun 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by western1969
    posted last night but doesn't show today.

I have to add a can of r12 every 2-3 years so wasn't surprised when ac quit cooling.

Added a can, didn't check site glass. very little improvement. added 2nd looked at site glass saw a little streak of bubbles that quickly disappeared. AC got cool but not cold. Drove about 30 miles and it wasn't cooling at all. Got out book and it said at 80 degrees low side should be 20-27 psi. Check and it was 0. Added some more and it quickly rose to 30. No help on cooling. Let it idle and compressor started kicking off for a minute every 4 minutes or so. In checking for leaks I found the high side was boiling the soapy water. A food thermometer read 195 F.

When I switch off the ac the low side ran up to 95 psi. Turned it back on and it dropped to about a third of the way into the red (vaccum) and stayed there. Adding more freon the compressor started laboring and stalling.

The high side connector is too small for my high side gauge connector. I suspect a blockage in the expansion valve or the dryer. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated...

Wes
    Replaced the expansion valve and drier. Problem was a plugged line inside the unit under the dash. The short piece of thin line was plugged with what looked to be kitty litter. Granules packed tight for about a 1/4 inch. A few taps broke it loose then I blew it out. It was only 5 inches long. Its working now.. thanks
    roy2684711 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
    How do you change expanson valve on 1989 hard body for a/c

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Truck Air Conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a 2004 Dodge Ram. She recently ran into a problem where her AC was working as long as she was not idle. Becoming idle, the AC would stop. Someone checked it out for her and told her that the raeson was that a fuse had blown and with that that the fan was not working. Can...

95 Nissan Pickup Truck question [ 2 Answers ]

Today driving home from work I noticed the RPM go up and down by a Couple of hundred and the check engine light blinked a couple of times. I put in new spark plugs last week. Should I have the trouble coldes checked? Or can anyone put there finger on this. Thanks all Steve

View more questions Search