Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CORVAIRWILD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2013, 06:44 AM
    Whirlpool Washing Machine Leaves Clothes Wet At End Of Cycle/Coin Operated Top Load
    I also posted this in another thread from 2007, I hope this's OK...

My wife and I own a small apt complex w 3 washers and 3 dryers. We bought them new 7-8 years ago, and are the push button coin operated top load models. Manufactured by Whirlpool.

One of them recently had a complaint that it was shaking or wobbling excessively. I removed the front cover, and all seemed in place. I verified the sliding blocks, the 3 springs in place. I even removed the front cover of the adjoining machine to compare them. All seemed fine... I then washed a medium load of shop towels, they came out normal damp, and I removed the "out of order tag".

A month or so later, one of our good tenants mentioned her clothes were soaking wet, so I wonder if the 1st prob was just overloading/unbalanced, or if the machine isn't draining/spinning properly?

I have read a couple of posts regarding a clutch lining. I've had minimal clothes machine experience, and the local repair shop mentioned a rubber coupler. I have replaced one of these on our machine at home, but from my recollections, this machine doesn't have this type of connection. I'll have to pull the cover and take some pix for this forum.

Moving along, I mentioned to my wife that maybe it's time to sell these machines and upgrade to modern front loaders to save water. We pay for every drop, and even though these don't get too much use, why wait till they're troublesome and rusty?

We collect around $300-400 per month based on $1.50 per load on the wash and dry machines, so that translates to $75 per machine, (the 2 closer ones get more use, this's one of those), so the $6,000 they cost was paid off a few years ago.

I'm not impressed with these machines as the dryer had a few problems when new due to careless assembly, and one of the washers consistently left the tub half filled, even after numerous parts were repaired under warranty. After a year, Whirlpool "scrapped" the machine and gave us a new one. I saved a number of parts from it before it was hauled away.

These machines replaced Maytags that were rented, and those always seemed to have electronic probs, and we made little of the money collected and had to wait a week or two until the tech would show up to replace the circuit board. Thus we bot these non-electronic machines. The only downside is that the tenants couldn't add coins to increase the wash or dry time during the cycle.

I don't imagine there are any "manual" machines available any longer... Recommendations?
    Attached Images

wallykap Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2013, 12:17 PM
    Trade it with one that does' t get as much use
    CORVAIRWILD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2013, 09:25 PM
    Good idea... and another tenant tried it today, and it seemed to work fine, maybe the clutch, if it has one, is weak, and slips under heavy load

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washer wtw4800XQ0 after wash cycle is complete leaves clothes still wet [ 1 Answers ]

Wtw4800xq0 model whirlpool leaves clothes too wet after wash cycle completely done. Darren

Top Load Whirlpool Washing Machine during spin cycle makes a loud noise [ 0 Answers ]

The washing machine makes a loud squeeking/rubbing noise on spin cycle. About a year or so I started finding silver balls rolling at the bottom of the washer basket. 8 years old and is a Whirlpool Top Load Help!

Washing machine clothes still wet after spin cycle [ 2 Answers ]

Kenmore 80 Series Washer Model: 110.82881810 After my washing machine is done the clothes are still wet and there is a puddle of water at the bottom of the basket. I filled the washer with water on Small Load then I stuck a screwdriver in the hole for the lid switch so it would spin while...

Spin cycle leaves very wet clothes [ 0 Answers ]

Spin cycle: Normal wash cycle works, but the spin cycle leaves the clothes wet, the agaitor does not spin in a positive direction in the spin cycle, with the lid open, I can reach in and stop the agaitor in the spin cycle, it is a clutch motor driven . The is a pile of black crud under the...

Top load whirlpool style washing machine will not spin [ 1 Answers ]

I have removed motor and gearbox/transmission from cabinet. I had to replace the drive/motor coupler on a previous washer so I thought that may have been the problem this time also. I separated the motor from gear box to check the coupler. It was NOT broken. I tried to start the washer with it out...

View more questions Search