Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igorflash Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Furnace won't light without a furnace switch reset
    Hello
    I have a Tempstar/Keeprite furnace model HGF120NE-1, Serial number 8464124770. (the exterior of the furnace has Tempstar logo and interior of furnace has Keeprite logo.)
    This furnace has an intermittent pilot light system.

At times, especially in the morning after allowing a temperature drop over night, the furnace will not function. If I switch the "emergency furnace switch" off and then on again, the pilot light ignition begins, the pilot lights and then the main burners and the furnace functions as normal. Sometimes the furnace will continue normal operation until the next evening cool down period. Sometimes the furnace will need another "manual" start with the "furnace switch" to function normally. It acts like the furnace is "locked out" and the off/on procedure with the "furnace switch" is resetting the furnace, at least for that cycle.

I believe I eliminated the thermostat as a possible problem as I have a backup non-digital thermostat installed about 10 years ago. (We get -40 degree temperatures so a backup thermostat without batteries gives some degree of safety) I removed the digital thermostat and the results with the old style thermostat were identical. I also replaced the "emergency furnace switch" just to make certain that it was not an issue.

The malfunctions are, of course, happening more often.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 07:33 AM

Does your furnace vent with plastic or metal pipe?

Apr 6, 2009, 07:43 AM

It vents with metal pipe. It is an older furnace. It does have the intermittent pilot system but does not have the evacuation fan (induced draft furnace) of most mid efficient furnaces. Strange.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 07:46 AM

Have you cleaned the flame sencer or t-couple lots of times on the tempstars the piloit will spark and light but will never sense the flame to turn on the main burner

Apr 6, 2009, 07:59 AM
    I will do that today, but the problem appears to exist before the flame sensor would come into play. (I think) When it works correctly the high voltage pilot ignitor buzzes, the pilot light lights then the burners and then the fan. When it malfunctions, the ignitor does not even buzz to light the pilot light. Therefore the flame sensor has nothing to sense. Could the flame sensor have anything to do with the ignitor before the pilot light is lit?
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 10:44 AM

No if that is the case I would say the gray spark box is going bad, not sending power to the ignitor.

Apr 6, 2009, 11:34 AM

Thanks Joshdta
    That very well may be the problem. I just find it strange that I can reset the furnace by shutting off the power and then returning power. So far, this works every time and the furnace pilot ignites almost instantly. I wonder if there is a relay in that spark box that gets stuck in a certain state and when I shut the power down, returns to the correct state? (either open or closed)
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 12:29 PM

There probably is I am checking it right now. Do you have the number of your spark box?

Apr 6, 2009, 02:38 PM
    The box is a:

Honeywell, S86H INTERMITTENT PILOT
    100% SHUTOFF
    AUTO IGNITION
    SYSTEMS ANS Z21.20

24 V, 60 HZ
    AMP=PV+MV+.2A
    PV=2A MAX
    MV=2A MAX

TH CURRENT = PV + MV + .2

90 SEC. MAX. TRIAL FOR PILOT IGN.

The furnace itself, I believe, is really a Keeprite and manufactured in Canada.
    Thanks Again
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 03:00 PM

If you are sure that half the time the sparker will not spark then it is almost certain the box which will have up to 3 relays in it.

Apr 6, 2009, 03:03 PM

I found some specs on the box. I am now wondering if it could be the ground from the SH6H box?
    http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/69-0166.pdf

The following is from that article. I am thinking if the grounding for the ignitor is faulty, is sounds like the unit goes into lockout. I think you have pointed me in the right direction. Of course the darn thing wouldn't fail all afternoon. I am going to pull off the ground right at the ignitor and clean it up.
    CHECKING GOUNDING
    A common ground is required for the pilot burner/
    Igniter-sensor mounting bracket and the GND terminal
    01 the 586. If ground is poor or erratic. Safety Shutdown
    May occur occasionally even though operation is
    Normal at the time of the checkout. Therefore. If
    Nuisance Shutdowns have been reported, be sure to
    Check item 4 under General Precautions. Page 1.
    NOTE: If the ground circuit path is incomplete, the
    S86G and H will allow one trial for ignition before
    Going into safety lockout.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 03:07 PM

A bad ground could very well be the problem, defentally check that first before buying a new box

Apr 6, 2009, 03:08 PM
    If it is the ground, once I clean it up, the furnace should function normally this evening and tomorrow morning after the overnight setback temperature. I will let you know the outcome tomorrow.

If it still is acting up, I will look at replacing the box.

Thanks Again.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 03:09 PM

Sounds like you just about got it fixed then. Glad I could be of some help. Have a great day. Let me know what you find out!!

Apr 7, 2009, 06:07 AM

Yesterday, I checked and cleaned the grounds, and carefully cleaned the ignitor. The ignitor tip actually looked very good before I cleaned it.
    The furnace ran flawlessly last night and today so far. I have my fingers crossed that it will continue this way. From the way this winter has been, I think I still have at least 3 months of heating left before summer. (I wish that last statement was a joke)
    Thanks for all your help Joshdta. It is much appreciated.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 07:00 AM

No problem glad you got it working!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace would not restart unless power is reset [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a carrier furnace that works well once started for anywhere from 1 day to a week at a time and then seems to fail to restart. Once the power to it is reset (flipping the breaker off and back on) it seems to start fine and keeps on going stopping at the temp that is set and then...

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Oil burning furnace-reset light blinking-won't come on. Line stopped up? If so, how c [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil-burning furnace (AirEase Advantage is the brand) It won't run. Last p.m. it would kick on & you could hear it trying to light but it never did & went back off. I would push the reset button & try again. Then it wouldn't allow me to re-set it anymore(light keeps blinking, even after...

Gas furnace still not blowing warm air after reset [ 2 Answers ]

We have the Carrier 9200 gas heat/cool unit (indoor). We followed the reset instructions and the fan is blowing but we're still getting cool air. What causes it to blow out only cool air and not warm? What else can we do. Again, our home is mainly gas and our oven works fine. I tested the Air...

Must reset furnace breaker to activate [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a ritetemp digital thermostat and appear to have 2 problems. 1) I’m not getting any ac to the thermostat, so it does not activate the furnace. I know I need to check the 24v transformer and common per the other threads. But, if I go to the circuit breaker panel and reset the furnace (80...

View more questions Search