Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rocket32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Freezing pipes
    Dose the rubber insulation rap help the pipes from freezing and if so how much, what is the R factor. Also there is two types, Soft and ridget what is the best and why
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Hmmmm...

Here's my take on insulation wrap/tape.

Insulation keeps cold things cold and hot things hot longer than if there was not insulation present. Insulation will also keep the cold water pipes from condensating as it reduces the temperature difference between the pipe and the environment outside the pipe.

In terms of cold water pipes, you can't just insulate a cold water pipe that is, say exposed to freezing conditions and expect that the insulation will keep the pipe from freezing. In fact, the insulation wrap will just keep the pipe cold until it finally keeps it so cold that the pipe freezes and bursts. In these cases, insulation should be used ONLY after a heat tape has been run along the length of the pipe in question and then the insulation wrap gets wrapped. The insulation in this case acts to reduce heat loss from the heat tape and keeps it from turning on as frequently as it would need to without the insulation.

In terms of hot water pipes, insulation wrap acts to reduce HEAT LOSS. Depending on the length of the run of hot water pipes you may or may not want to insulate the hot water lines. For example, the greatest heat loss from a water heater will be through the first 10 feet of hot water piping. After ten feet, the heat loss is considered negligible, so most manufacturers recommend that you insulate only the first 10 feet of hot water pipe off the water heater. You could insulate a long run of hot water pipe, or a recirculating hot water line to reduce heat loss, for sure, but most people will not let me when we start to discuss material and labor costs... ;)

Anyway, insulation is useful as mentioned above. It is NOT used to prevent freezing pipes by itself. The thicker, heavier version will be a better insulator (hold heat longer).

Let me know if you want to discuss more...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inground pool pipes may have damage from freezing [ 2 Answers ]

In December, our area had many days of freezing temperatures. We had turned off our filter and forgot it was off when the outdoor temperature went below freezing. I turned on the filter and no pressure registered on the gauge, and then water started spraying out of the pipe seams in the pool...

Refrigerator freezing things and freezer barely freezing items [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Maytag MFF2557HEW, French doors on top and Freezer on bottom. We have freezer set at 7 and refrigerator set at 1. We cannot use veggie drawers because it freezes everything in them. We have to put all veggies and fruits on the shelves. Ice cream remains soft in the freezer, but meats...

Freezing Pipes [ 7 Answers ]

My husband tells me that if you do not have cast iron pipes that you do not have to worry about your pipes freezing in the winter. Is that true? If water expands when it freezes, then it makes sense to me that it doesn't matter what kind of pipes you have. The reason I ask is because we are...

Pipes freezing? [ 1 Answers ]

It's winter here now and this is the only time it happens. Some days I won't get any water up to my room on the second floor. But also sometimes the pump for the toilet won't start running? I have no idea about plumbing so could someone diagnose the problem for me?

Keeping pipes from freezing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a fix up home in another state and need to know how to bleed the pipes so that they don't freeze. I don't live in the area-do I need a plumber? The house has well and septic tank. Thanks!

View more questions Search