Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjrosen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2011, 11:23 AM
    TXV replacement
    I have a 11 year old Lennox heatpump unit. I had my annual service today and the tech said that I need to replace the TXV unit. The following is what he quoted me:

Parts $43
    Recover/vacuum/recharge/drier $592
    TXV Labor $679
    Total $1314

Does this seem reasonable?

Thank you, Steve
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2011, 01:15 PM
    WOW!, where I come from, that's highway robbery

I couldn`t sleep at night for robbing someone that way,,

Get some more quotes from other ,companies
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 30, 2011, 06:28 PM
    I may have a different look on this. The recovery etc, is time consuming and takes expensive equiptment and knowledge to do correctly. However, the txv labor seems a bit high, or extremely high. Hard to say for sure. It really all depends on if the txv is inside or outside the plenum, and if the txv has compression fittings, or is brazed in to the coil. Many txv require being able to pull the coil out to replace the txv, which many times requires cutting the furnace vent, the coil drain, and removing anything that would prevent you from removing the coil. This is a tough call. However, I do think wmproop may be correct. I would suggest getting in another company to see if their price is in the same range. It could be viable, or it could very well be a rippoff. Make sure not to tell the next company what you were quoted, as not to bias their quote. Almost nothing is cheap about ac when you have to break into the actuall refrigerant system, but Im somewhat stumped on the txv labor. Please let us know what you find.

PS. As far as the other charges, it shows that they are going to do a professional job, right up to replacing the filter/drier (really a must). Oh, and one more question, is this a r22 or r410 unit? If the system is contaminated, and they can't reuse the old refrigerant, then the cost of r22 is through the roof. And if its 410, the system must be purged with nitrogen while brazing, and requires separate gauges, vac pump, reclaiming equiptment etc for the 410. Lot more to it than meets the eye. Hope this help. I can tell you that is wouldn't cost that much here, at least not through my company, but labor cost vary greatly from area to area. Take care.

Oops. Just reread. 11 year old heat pump. Well, its definitely r22.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TXV repair/replacement procedures [ 3 Answers ]

I just had my 9 year old 2 1/2 ton home Carrier Air Conditioner inspected by a service man. I does not put out hot air in heat mode nor cold air in cool mode. It runs a long time in response to the thermostat. The charge (F22) is good. The units are clean. When checking pressures, the suction...

Txv replacement [ 5 Answers ]

We have an under three-year-old, 5 ton Lennox unit that recently started blowing warm air. The A/C service guy found the evaporator had iced over. We turned the compressor off for three days to let the evaporator thaw. When the service guy returned, he turned on the A/C and it worked fine. ...

Txv valve replacement cost [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Amana package unit on the roof, I have been told that it will cost $1200 to replace the TXV valve, 4 hours to drain and reclaim the free-on(R22). Can the re-claimed R22 be put back into the unit and does $1200 sound like the right price? I happpen to know that you can replace a compressor...

Txv works [ 2 Answers ]

How txv works and how to clean it , thank you :confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search