Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amedad Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2010, 08:43 PM
    Txv replacement
    We have an under three-year-old, 5 ton Lennox unit that recently started blowing warm air. The A/C service guy found the evaporator had iced over. We turned the compressor off for three days to let the evaporator thaw.

When the service guy returned, he turned on the A/C and it worked fine. He said the freon level was good, but the TXV valve needed to be replaced - at a cost of $1600.

Does this sound reasonable? What would cause the valve to go bad after less than three years? The service guy (same company that installed the unit) said moisture in the freon was likely the cause. How does moisture get into a closed system?

We're willing to get it fixed, but want to make sure the problem has been properly diagnosed.

Thanks-
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 09:39 PM

1st. At not even 3 years old if it is the txv it should be under warranty
    2nd. 1600 bucks sounds very high not at all reasonable
    3rd. I would get a 2nd opinion.
    4th. If it has moisture its because the job wasn`t done right the first time,and it shouldn`t have taken 3 years for the problem to pop up
    5th. Moisture doesn`t just get into a closed system
    6th. Again I would call a different company to look it over,the next time it freezes up

Jul 20, 2010, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    1st. at not even 3 years old if it is the txv it should be under warranty
    2nd. 1600 bucks sounds very high not at all reasonable
    3rd. I would get a 2nd opinion.
    4th. if it has mosture its because the job wasn`t done right the first time,and it shouldn`t have taken 3 years for the problem to pop up
    5th. moisture doesn`t just get into a closed system
    6th. again I would call a differant company to look it over,the next time it freezes up
    The part is under warranty, but not labor. It seems a big chunk of the cost is the replacement freon (which apparently is not considered a "part").

It may have happened before, we just didn't notice it, we don't run the A/C very often. Is there a way to definitively determine the valve is bad?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amedad View Post
    We have an under three-year-old, 5 ton Lennox unit that recently started blowing warm air. The A/C service guy found the evaporator had iced over. We turned the compressor off for three days to let the evaporator thaw.

When the service guy returned, he turned on the A/C and it worked fine. He said the freon level was good, but the TXV valve needed to be replaced - at a cost of $1600.

Does this sound reasonable? What would cause the valve to go bad after less than three years? The service guy (same company that installed the unit) said moisture in the freon was likely the cause. How does moisture get into a closed system?

We're willing to get it fixed, but want to make sure the problem has been properly diagnosed.

Thanks-
    You are being taken for a ride. There should be hardly no refrigerant (Freon) costs since a quality contractor following the EPA regs would recover the refrigerant first before service is performed. All that has to be done is install a drier on the liquid side and use the old refrigerant gas over. There is something really wrong with this picture especially when you are being taken to the cleaners for $1,600.00. BTW the replacement TXV is only 150.00 at the most but I really doubt that it is needed.
    Attached Images

Jul 21, 2010, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I called the service manager of the A/C company who came out, and he had a very casual attitude like "these things just happen", "could be a number reasons", etc.

I'm having another company come out to take a look.
    shrcar Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2010, 11:41 AM
    amedad,
    I have the same problem, and will go for a 2nd opinion, but my worry is that they will all say the same thing. Hard to get a real trustworthy person who is also knowledgeable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TXV repair/replacement procedures [ 3 Answers ]

I just had my 9 year old 2 1/2 ton home Carrier Air Conditioner inspected by a service man. I does not put out hot air in heat mode nor cold air in cool mode. It runs a long time in response to the thermostat. The charge (F22) is good. The units are clean. When checking pressures, the suction...

Txv valve replacement cost [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Amana package unit on the roof, I have been told that it will cost $1200 to replace the TXV valve, 4 hours to drain and reclaim the free-on(R22). Can the re-claimed R22 be put back into the unit and does $1200 sound like the right price? I happpen to know that you can replace a compressor...

TXV Valve [ 1 Answers ]

Can a bad TXV valve cause a compressor to go bad? Thanks, BMCMyers

Txv works [ 2 Answers ]

How txv works and how to clean it , thank you :confused: :confused: :confused:

Do I have a bad TXV [ 6 Answers ]

System is serviced and maintained by myself and has operated great until two weeks ago. The evaporator iced over and gauges indicated low Freon (leakey Schrader valve). Installed new valve core and charged to a sub-cooling of 12. System ran great for a week and quite cooling. Now, the suction side...

View more questions Search