Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philjer11 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Air Chamber Plumbing Pipe
    We have had Water hammer happening at our house. While remodeling our bathroom, we discovered that the previous owners had drilled a hole in the plumbing air chamber pipe to run electrical wire to a new light they had installed!:eek: We have removed the electrical wire from the pipe. So our question is How do we fix the holes that they drilled into the air pipe so that the air chamber will work again?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Hi Phill,
    If someone had drilled a hole in a air chamber it would fill up with water and leak,under prssure, out the hole. That would be like drilling a hole in a water pipe and running a wire through it. I have put up some pictures of air chambers. I don't know what they drilled through but I guarantee it wasn't a air chamber or a water pipe. As for your water hammer let me show you how
    To recharge your air chambers and stop the hammer.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them on a two bathhiome. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps TOM

Oct 14, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Thanks for the info, it will come in quite handy. What would this pipe be? It is a black pipe that read 2in AMOCO ABS and come out the roof.

Oct 14, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Plumbing Pipe question
    I have included some pictures of a black pipe that someone has drilled a hole in and ran electrical wire to a new light fixture. The pipe leads from the sink vanity below it up and out of the roof. I am guessing a vent? Do I need to fix the holes that they drilled? And How should I fix the holes if I do need to fix them? Would these holes have anything to do with the loud bang in the pipes when the dishwasher or washer is being used?
    Attached Images

caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Oct 14, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by philjer11
    I have included some pictures of a black pipe that someone has drilled a hole in and ran electrical wire to a new light fixture. The pipe leads from the sink vanity below it up and out of the roof. I am guessing a vent?? Do I need to fix the holes that they drilled? And How should I fix the holes if I do need to fix them? Would these holes have anything to do with the loud bang in the pipes when the dishwasher or washer is being used?
    Fix the hole with saddle or pipe clamp
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Thanks for the info, it will come in quite handy. What would this pipe be? It is a black pipe that read 2in AMOCO ABS and come out the roof.
    That would be a plumbing vent.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 07:03 PM
    You definitely want to fix the holes. Otherwise, you will have smelly, toxic, explosive sewer gas leaking out. I would be tempted to use duct or electrical tape. As long as it is not a wet vent with a sink on an upper floor draining into it, there never is going to be any pressure in it.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 07:09 PM
    I have included some pictures of a black pipe that someone has drilled a hole in and ran electrical wire to a new light fixture. The pipe leads from the sink vanity below it up and out of the roof. I am guessing a vent?
    ?

You would be correct, it is a vent.

[/QUOTE]Do I need to fix the holes that they drilled?[/QUOTE]

I would.

[/QUOTE]And How should I fix the holes if I do need to fix them?[/QUOTE]

If the pipe goes straight up to the roof from that point, you could cut it at the hole, push it up a few inches through the roof flashing and rejoin the two ends together with a 2" abs coupling. If it doesn't push up easily, you could use a 2" no-hub band.

[/QUOTE] Would these holes have anything to do with the loud bang in the pipes when the dishwasher or washer is being used?[/QUOTE]

No.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2006, 09:26 PM
    [/quote]Do I need to fix the holes that they drilled?[/quote]

You've had many suggestions on how to patch the hole someone drilled in the ABS vent pipe. Let me give you mine. I would rough up the pipe around the holes to remove the gloss and float some ABS Cement over the holes. When that cured I would float another patch just to be sure. Cheers, Tom
    PS. Recharge your air chambers for that water hammer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing air in lines [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing a water problem when we turn on any of our taps. There is intermittent water spitting out at times. Not all the time. We can be in the middle of taking a shower and the water will start to spit out and then it will be OK. We notice some browning in the water at certain times...

Plumbing air locks [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do to remove an air lock from a recent repair in a domestic system

Plumbing Air Lock [ 1 Answers ]

Our water service was shut off for 3-4 hours. After it was turned back on several faucets, etc. had air in the lines. One shower valve only has cold water. When it is turned to "hot" there is no water as if there is a air lock in the hot water line. How do we vent/remove the air lock ?

How to install a stand pipe using existing plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

I'd like to convert the plumbing from a small "grease sink" to a stand pipe for my washer. Is this possible? Is the pipe's diameter too small to accommodate the pressure from the discharge of water from the washer? What's the recommended diameter of the pipes for a stand pipe?

Plumbing: old drain pipe, supply lines, curb [ 3 Answers ]

I've completed the demolition of my old shower, but am puzzled now. I am on a slap foundation. My drain pipe is not centered, and it rises about 2 inches off the slab. It does not appear to have weep holes, and I cannot remove it. Is it necessary to have the weep holes, and does it need to be...

View more questions Search