Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike9927 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Copper pipe to iron pipe
    How would you connect a 1/2" copper pipe to a 1/2" galvanized iron pipe that has been cut and has no threads? Do I need to re-thread the iron pipe, screw on a brass attachement and solder the other end to the copper? If so, what is the name of the tool use to re-thread the iron?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
    You are right on track about threading the galvanized (see pic. Below). They rent threaders at all tool rental stores... you need a 1/2" ratchet die. They will probably only rent the whole kit. You will also need to rent a wrench to hold asgainst yourself when cutting the threads. Also, buy some cutting oil...

If possible, you may be better off removing the galvanized pipe BACK to the nearest coupling, elbow, tee, etc., and then installing new copper male adapter...

Let me know what you think..? Mark

Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 05:55 PM
    I'd go with Mark's suggestion about removing the pipe back to the next connection. Cheaper, easier, smarter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper VS IRON pipe [ 2 Answers ]

?? Which is better for above ground and below ground Copper or Iron pipe?

How to join copper tubing to iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I have gas/hot water heating system with radiators. I want to replace the iron pipe mains with copper tubing and adapt to the iron risers going up to the radiators. Is there a fitting to adapt unthreaded iron pipe to copper?

Iron pipe vs copper tubing for gas lines, cost [ 2 Answers ]

We want to have a dryer connected in a new area of the house. One Plumber told us it must now be steel pipe with threaded couplings--cannot be copper tubing. Is this valid? Why? What should it cost to run about 60 ft of connection line?

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search