Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Walter Jinks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Trane xe80 code 4, no heat
    All summer the cooling worked fine, when I switch over to heat this week, it didn't come on.
    The control box shows a code 4, which says "THERMAL PROTECTION DEVICE OPEN"
    Any help?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 10:13 AM
    A safety device is open. You will need a meter and track down the defective item. Wiring diagram usually on blower door.
    cinwnst Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 09:07 AM
    I had the same code after a lot of looking and figuring what wire goes with what I took the circuit board off and looked at the back it had a burned mark which means the circuit board is bad. It cost me $200.00. I purcharsed a new one and put it in myself works great. Just rememenber when you disconnet the wires and put the new board in you do one wire at a time so you know where they belong!

Dec 16, 2008, 10:20 AM
    I hope the person has it fixed by now. It is a old post. LOL
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 03:31 PM

Maybe their internet service is really, really slooooooooooow...

Dec 16, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XE80 Blower Motor Kaput [ 2 Answers ]

Had an AC salesman out today about replacing the upstairs unit. He was demonstrating "proper air flow" with the basement unit. He opened the furnace and the blower motor made a squealing noise when it came back on. He flicked the power off and then on again and the noise disappeared. He said it...

Trane XE80 A/C stops running [ 1 Answers ]

The Trane XE A/C unit in the attic for the second floor stops running after apparently random times. Turning off the manual power switch to the unit for about 15 seconds enables the unit to start back up again. It appears to happen once it starts warming up, but then again it has run a couple of...

Trane XE80 [ 1 Answers ]

My 10 year old Trane XE80 in my woodworking shop lately cannot put out enough heat to satisfy the thermostat, which yesterday was set at 72 degrees on a 37 degree day. The steel building is completely insulated, and this has never happened before at this outside temperature. The furnace seems to...

Trane XE80 Won't ignite [ 4 Answers ]

My thermostat calls for heat, but the blower just comes on and blows air. No heat until I go down and manually restart the furnace. Any suggestions?

Trane XE80 Won't Start [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat calls for heat, but the blower just comes on and blows air. No heat until I go down and manually restart the furnace. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search