Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mayaandfibi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
    My great dane won't eat
    Hello,

I have two great dane mixes. They are mostly dane, but their mom is a doberman. They are very friendly and well-mannered. They always remain outside and sleep warmly in the garage. They are both sisters and 8 months old.

They were given to us and Fibi eats well and was much healthier than Maya. The more my husband and I spend with both of them, the more we notice that Maya is more submissive and quiet. She seems to be getting skinnier and doesn't seem to be eating enough. We can clearly see her ribs and below her neck her skin is very loose. We compare her with her sister Fibi because Fibi plays, drinks plenty of water, and comes near you when you want to price her with something to eat. She continues to eat very well; however, it is Maya whom we are very worried about.

I do plan to go by Petsmart to see what they recommend. I got her vitamins and my husband tried to put them in her mouth but she spit them out. We also tried giving her a home-cooked meal and place vitamins in it but she also wouldn't take it. We feed them both pedigree dry food.

I appreciate any help or ideas on this. Many thanks..

- Worried in Texas
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Please do not go to Petsmart for answers to your dog's problem. The clerks there can only guess as to what her problem is and will sell you a bunch of stuff that may not be needed. Don't try vitamins or anything else that is not recommended by a qualified veterinarian. Spend the money you would have spent at Petsmart and put it toward an appointment with her veterinarian for a thorough health check, including a blood panel. That really is your best option at finding out if there is something wrong.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Read the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 It is possible one is more Great Dane than the other. They are one of several breeds where it is common for the dog not to eat enough to keep its ribs covered. If that is the case, the best thing is to see to it that it get all the Pedigree it will eat, and nothing else. The less a dog eats, the more important it is that every bite is a carefully formulated chow that is a complete and balanced diet. Home cooked meals an vitamins will never duplicate a good chow.

I do hope you have them on the adult version now. An early switch to adult chow in larger breeds is better for their joints.

I do have one reliable report of putting an excessively thin dog on Pedigree, so stick with it.

Oh, you will see in my sticky that I do agree with RubyPitbull on the vet. There is no mention of vitamins from Petsmart in the sticky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Great dane [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a great dane and he is about 5 month old and wheighs 60 lb. I just want to know what I can expect on how big he is going to be in height and wheight? Thank James

Great Dane owners... [ 9 Answers ]

I always wanted to have a Great Dane. But need to know how they interact with children. We have 3 small children at home ages 4, 6 and 8. I was concerned that if we adopted a small breed dog, that one of the kids might accidentally hurt it by falling on it. I've heard that the Danes have great...

Great Dane Great Strain? [ 8 Answers ]

I love great danes!! I have and always will love them. In general I love big dogs! My question is though if I were to get a great dane what's my cost looking at what are some of the problems that are spefic to great danes behaviour and health wise (ex. Yorkies have hip problems) also I really want...

Great Dane Pregnancy! [ 2 Answers ]

Want to know how to find out if my Great Dane is pregnant, well she is not eating and I think the male might have got to her when I wasn't around for a few hours, but her nipples are swollen and there are small signs of milk leakage, just need to know since this was not planned it was suppose to be...

Great dane gone crazy [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 great danes and a beagle. We have had absolutely no problems until last night my male dane saw my 12 yr. old and 8 yr. old children wrestling, when my son (8 yr. old) walked away the dog grabbed his arm and shook it like a lion with it's prey. My son was wearing a thick jacket (thank...

View more questions Search