Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabriel03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 08:08 AM
    ac unit no longer removing humidity
    Hi, I have been living in an apartment in Allentown, PA since last March. The AC worked fine until 7/15/09. It broke, the capacitor was replaced, it broke a week later and ever since that repair it has felt extremely humid in my apartment (maintenance logs says they “replaced thermostat, replaced capacitor ( comp side liquefied?), replaced screw in fuser?"). They have since replaced the capacitor and thermostat again, but there hasn’t been any change in the humidity. I bought and calibrated a hygrometer, the readings average 64% humidity, with a range of 58-68%. I have not noticed an increase in humidity after I take a shower, I haven’t been cooking, and have had all windows and doors closed for 1-2 months. Before this problem it would feel cold when it was 70 degrees in my apt, now it feels uncomfortable at 65 degrees in my apartment. There have been a wide range of temperatures outside during this period: some days in the high seventies, some days in the low eighties, some days in the mid eighties, and some days in the low nineties, and on none of those days has it felt comfortable inside my apartment. After reading online, people mention that it might be humid because the air conditioning unit is cycling too short, but ever since the second repairs and the humidity problem, it has been running probably three times longer than before, so the cycles have actually been longer…

My main thought was that because the air inside my apartment seems to smell more like outside air (fresh smelling), and there was actually an incredibly strong manure odor in my apartment once which seemed strange considering my windows and doors were locked, I am wondering if somehow the air conditioning unit is not re-circulating any of the air in my apartment, but just continuously pulling out hot humid air from outside. This would also make sense why it keeps on breaking, because it must be very hard on unit to be having to only cool down the outside air. But I have no experience or knowledge of these systems at all, so this is a compete guess. Any thoughts or information (or even a verification that it is not supposed to be 68% humidity inside my apartment when the ac has been running for six weeks), would be incredibly helpful.

This unit is very old, I think. On outside of unit it says: arcoaire airconditioning & heating, model EPM24B15C2, serial X025111782 International comfort products corporation
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 01:52 PM
    Hire a qualified contractor. The maintaince guys have no idea what they are doing.
    sabriel03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 02:06 PM

Unfortunately that has not been so easy. After having eight people at the apartment complex tell me that there is no problem, probably 100 times in total, they said they would bring in a contractor. They brought in someone who would not listen to me (to be fair, I think he was from an Eastern European country and did not understand English well), and looked at the unit for less than three minutes, saying it was fine. Now, after I have pushed and pushed and pushed they are offering to bring in one more person, but considering how they have been trying to defraud me, I'm not sure how much good that is going to do, if I they refuse to give me the right to find someone myself and bring them out.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Allentown Pa. call Siberian Air,, tell him wmproop sent you
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Just hire your own person to service the unit. Then when they find something wrong back bill the complex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand New System Not Removing Humidity [ 30 Answers ]

My husband and I live in the southern Chicago suburbs. Humidity does get quite high in the Chicagoland area. I am extremely sensitive to humidity and would like to keep it as close to 30% as possible. To save gas/electric costs, on April 24, 2008, we replaced a functioning Carrier system (I'm...

Removing a Mira Event shower unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Mira Event shower unit which has broken down and I need to replace it. However I cannot for the life of me get the hot and cold water feedpipes out. The shower unit has the push in type facility - that is you (in theory) just push the pipes in and they seal. Hopefully this is fine as the...

Box on incline. If you push it up, will it take longer to go up or longer down [ 5 Answers ]

If a box is given a shove so it slides up an incline then slides back down to its starting point, will it take longer on the way up or on the way down? I think it's down.

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

View more questions Search