Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyjimbo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Carrier furnace issues
    I recently discovered that my Carrier High Efficiency Furncace has had issues with the Heat exchanger. I have contacted Carrier and they are going to replace it. However, my HVAC server has also informed me that the blower is gone. Earlier in the day the blower was working fine. Could the faulty Exchanger have caused a blower malfunction or could I have inadvertently locked out the blower motor when flipping the power switch on and off. There is an LED monitor with codes and it was blinking '33' code which lists the blower among other things. Any help at all would be most appreciative.
    Thanks
    Jimbo
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 06:04 AM
    The blower did not fail by turning the unit off and on. Code means on most Carrier furnaces. The code was probably triggered buy the heat exchanger problem not the blower motor.

33 LIMIT CIRCUIT FAULT - Indicates a limit, draft safeguard, flame rollout, or blocked vent
    switch (if used) is open. Blower will run for 4 minutes or until open switch remakes
    whichever is longer. If open longer than 3 minutes, code changes to lockout #13.
    If open less than 3 minutes status code #33 continues to flash until blower shuts off.
    Flame rollout switch and BVSS require manual reset. Check for: - Restricted vent
    - Proper vent sizing - Loose blower wheel. - Excessive wind
    - Dirty filter or restricted duct system.
    - Defective blower motor or capacitor. - Defective switch or connections.
    - Inadequate combustion air supply (Flame Roll-out Switch open).
    They should be able to correct this problem during the heat exchanger change out. In some respects I believe the HVAC servicer is just trying to sell you a motor since it will add profit to there bottom line and it is easy to change when they are there.But since I am not there who really knows.

Dec 9, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Thanks HVAC 1000, Before I called them the blower was working albeit off and on cycling was occurring every 5 minutes or so. Noticed the temperature on the thermostat not budging obove 62 degree's. That's when I called the Servicer. Which brings me to another question if the blower motor locks out can I move the prop? Or blades. I went up into my attic and they had taken the blower out I moved the blades, to me, this would not constitute a locked out motor am I mistaken?
    Jimbo
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 08:13 AM
    If the motor is defective it is possible to turn it. Just turning does not mean it is good. Since I cannot check your furnace from here it is hard to tell. Take the blower assembly to a local motor shop and see if they can get it to run.

Dec 21, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Took the blower motor into work. One of our maintenance guys is a HVAC licensed. He hooked up the motor and it runs fine. Had another company install faulty secondary heat exchanger. Furnace worked fine for about 5 days and all of the sudden I can't keep it running. I'll reset manually and both the blower and gas work fine. When I reach my theromostat setting the furnace shuts off and will not kick back on when temp falls below setting. Still getting the 33 LED code followed later by the 13 code (flameout?) Could my thermostat be bad?
    Thanks James
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 04:32 PM

If this is a variable-speed unit there is an emergency heat DIP switch on the circuit board (SW1-4). Enabling this feature will allow the unit to vary the operating parameters in the event of a secondary heat exchanger failure, but this is only intended for interim short-term heating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Furnace / AC Electrical Issues (Burning Plastic Smell) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am a bit of a novice in this area. I have a Carrier 58GS100-GA Furnace & Carrier 28RC130010 AC unit on top. Just today I noticed a strong acidic burning smell coming from the basement and loud humming sound, and noticed some minor smoke...

Carrier Hi Eff Furnace [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know the MBh for a 58UVB060, does anyone know?

80% carrier furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 80% Carrier furnace! I have to shut off the power some times for it to start up again! Then I have to turn the thermostat way up for it to go!! Do I have a bad stat or do I need to replace the ignighter and or the glow plug?

Carrier Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Motor runs, pilot light won't ignite. Led blinks no clue what it means after 5 minutes the motor stops.

View more questions Search