Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PattiG Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 01:18 PM
    Where is first floor ceiling water coming from?
    Air conditioner
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 01:46 PM

What has water that is higher than that ceiling?

Nov 17, 2010, 02:17 PM
    Its not the toilet, shower or sink. Happens only in the heat of the summer when a/c runs all day. Plumber has put 12" x 12" hole in ceiling a water stain. PVC pipes and copper plumbing is visible. Water stain was linear and in an L shape. I feel it was the attic a/c unit. Drip pan was dry as a bone.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 05:44 AM

You might have to catch it when its actually getting wet. Assuming you can't see any signs of where water once was via that hole that would let you trace back.

Now let me get this straight... the water mark is on the 1st floor ceiling, but this is a two story structure with an attic mounted A/C unit?

Nov 18, 2010, 06:24 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Correct about the first floor ceiling. Has not dripped since hole was cut Aug16,2010, insulation was removed and about 2 cups of water came out with insulation. Copper piping and pvc visible but no water. Copper is for Rinai water heater,pvc is HVAC
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 06:49 AM

Couple more questions. The leak then is in the area of the drain for the pan. Which is the PVC pipe you mention. This isn't a fairly new installation I assume as well.

Has there been any pictures hung, nails or screws driven in a wall the drain passes through in say the previous year before the leak was discovered?

Want to establish that the system has been leak free for a period previously to eliminate a faulty installation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water on floor no ceiling stains where is the water coming from [ 3 Answers ]

Water on bathroom throwrug, no ceiling stains cracks etc. Attic over bathroom no leaks in plumbing under vanity sink or toilet. Where did the water come from?

Water coming in under concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

Recently installed a new bath in a pole barn with concrete floor. Have trouble with water leaching under the new tile. Plumber says it will settle and that all concrete floors have dampness under them. I am afraid of mold and odor. Any solutions?

Water coming through concrete slab floor [ 3 Answers ]

My Daughter has water coming up through her dining room floor, she is in a four unit condo, plumbers claim the leak is coming from tree roots way out in the yard and claim after removing tree and repair leak her problem with the water infiltration will be cured. I feel that the integrity of the...

Water leak in first floor bathroom ceiling nothing coming from upstairs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a cape house I have a dormer bethroom upstairs with a walk in shower sink and toitel, below it is my first floor bathroom.. this morning before I got into the shower I notice large water spots on my first floor ceiling went upstairs it is dry upstaris shower has not been used in...

Water mark with mold on ceiling of 1st floor ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've just noticed a fairly large water mark with mold in the center located on the ceiling of a downstairs closet - I believe the closet sits below an upstairs shower. I'm a new home owner and would appreciate your advice on what sort of questions I need to ask a plumber to resolve...

View more questions Search