Furnace blower on - no Heat

Asked Oct 13, 2007, 04:04 PM 20 Answers
    I have a Carrier furnace with an automatic ignition. The fan is constantly running but it is not heating.

Additional Information:
    Model 58PAV: The Red Led Status light is rapidly flashing - which according to the manual means 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed. If twinned, refer to twinning kit instructions'. I do not have a clue what 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed... ' means. The Furnace was working fine last year and no one touched any wires -- how did the polarity get reversed?

I will really appreciate if someone can explain to me what can I check and how?

Thanks

Last edited by aulakhbs; Oct 13, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
    hvac1000's Avatar
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 434
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

#2

Oct 13, 2007, 06:50 PM

Usually this is a symptom of a burner problem. You could have a problem with the draft inducer fan motor or circuit board. It could also be as easy as a sensor. If it is spark ignition could be the safety control or spark box. You need to check the circuits with a meter to tell which part is bad.
    labman's Avatar
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551

#3

Oct 13, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Check the high limit switch. It may be signaling a false overheated condition. If so, the gas will shut off and the blower run until the condition clears. You may find some help with the switch in the sticky, http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating...tml#post664441
    T-Top's Avatar
    T-Top Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 100

#4

Oct 13, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Sounds like you have a open limit or blown 24 volt fuse. On carrier, the blower runs all the time if a limit is open or if 24 volts is lost going to the control board.
    lasan's Avatar
    lasan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

#5

Mar 21, 2009, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aulakhbs View Post

Additional Information:
    Model 58PAV: The Red Led Status light is rapidly flashing - which according to the manual means 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed. If twinned, refer to twinning kit instructions'. I do not have a clue what 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed ...' means. The Furnace was working fine last year and no one touched any wires -- how did the polarity get reversed?

Thanks
    Hi,Have you fix your Carrier furnace?If you did could you tell me what is wrong with?I have a furnace same model with the you have,just about 6 yrs old it's has the same problem with your furnace.Would you tell me how to fix it?Thanks
    lasan's Avatar
    lasan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

#6

Mar 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Usually this is a symptom of a burner pr.You could have a problem with the draft inducer fan motor or circuit board. It could also be as easy as a sensor. If it is spark ignition could be the safety control or spark box. You need to check the circuits with a meter to tell which part is bad.
    Hi,could you help me.My furnace Carrier model 58pav about 6 yrs old,it has a problem cold air out and no heat,I check a blinking in furnace it blink 3 times stop and blink 1 more,after that it blinking the same (3times stop and 1 more) What is that problem.Thanks
    Mikie D's Avatar
    Mikie D Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

#7

Mar 21, 2009, 05:38 PM

Most of the time it's the high limit switch pull the wires of and ckeck with a volt meter to check continuity it should be made or just jump it out if it starts you know the limit switch is bad. Good luck Mikie D
    KC13's Avatar
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 98

#8

Mar 22, 2009, 04:30 AM
    The fault code you are seeing is either "13" or "31". Look for a label titled "SERVICE" on the front panel and follow the instructions at the top to determine which code is being displayed.
    lasan's Avatar
    lasan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

#9

Mar 24, 2009, 09:36 AM
    Thanks for your adviser,If a fuse blown I need to change a new fuse but I do not know where is a fuse locate?Thanks
    lasan's Avatar
    lasan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

#10

Mar 24, 2009, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie D View Post
    most of the time its the high limit switch pull the wires of and ckeck with a volt meter to check continuity it should be made or just jump it out if it starts you know the limit switch is bad. Good luck Mikie D
    Hi , I push a limit switch to reset and the heat came on but it runs about 2 -3 minutes and does not have anymore heat come out just a cold air?A red light blinks 3 short 1 long and stop.Thanks all for helping.

Blower not working with Heat- OK with AC [ 2 Answers ]

I have a recent HVAC system and not too long ago I had to remove the blower and lube the bushings because it had frozen. This was with the AC Now, that's its cold and we turned the heat on the blower either comes on for a bit and then quits or doesn't come on at all. I can turn the AC on and the...

No heat but blower still on [ 3 Answers ]

All of a sudden I have no heat. I have a programmable Simple Comfort 3001 thermostat and haven't had any issue with it for 1.5 years. Forced Hot Air Heat / Gas - what could be wrong ? My furnace has no pilot light - its only 2 yrs old. Help !

Blower on, no heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tempstar NTC6 125KJGI. I turned it off at the kill switch attached to furnace the other day to clean the filter. After cleaning the filter it now blows cold air. However, I think I see the gas igniting when it kicks on. Blew hot air before. 2 months ago an inspector said it was in...

No heat, continuous blower [ 6 Answers ]

I've got a Day and Night furnace that has an electric ignition pilot. Normally, when the heat is turned on, you can hear the *click *click *click of the electric pilot ignition and then the blower comes on afterward. My current problem is that the pilot light now never lights (there's not even...

No heat, blower runs constantly, carrier gas furnace [ 7 Answers ]

This am we I got up the blower on my carrier series 100 gas furnace (approx 10 years old)was running and blowing out cold air. Even with the thermostat turned to off the blower runs constantly. The only way to stop the blower from running is to turn the switch on the side of the furnace to off or...