Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mejiacarlos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Cobra eligibility
    The company I was working with was closed. The health plan was terminated. I have pre-conditions sucha as high blood pressure so I'm not eligible for an individual health plan. Am I eligible for COBRA? What option do I have other than a group plan?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
    If you can afford it you should be eligible. COBRA is supposed to take over when you lose your company insurance.

Have you looked this site over yet?

FAQs About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 06:11 PM
    The insurance provider from your other company is suppose to ( actually required by law) to send you information on the cobra insurance.
    You will have 60 days ( I believe) from the date your other insurance terminates to sign up.

Now it is not going to be cheap it will be the amount you paid, plus the amount the company was paying ( plus a small admin fee allowed)
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Sep 20, 2007, 09:07 AM
    There is no COBRA if the companies plan is terminated.
    The carrier will send a letter explaining the loss of coverage. You should have 63 days to pick up another plan with no lapse in coverage and no new waiting period. Check with a local broker.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Actually if a company closes, the companies plans ends, but the insurance carrier is required to offer similar coverage under cobra.
    Also the plans available though other carriers are normally very poor at a very high price, They need to check with the insurance carrier that provided the company insurance, cobra will be in effect on this
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Sep 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Not so, unless your state has differnet regulations. Federal law only requires COBRA when the ex-employer has/continues a group health plan.
    Following is from Dept of Labor "Employer's Guide to Group Health Continuation Coverage Under COBRA". Page 15. #2

Early Termination
    A group health plan may terminate continuation coverage earlier than
    The end of the maximum period for any of the following reasons:
    1; Premiums are not paid in full on a timely basis;
    2; The employer ceases to maintain any group health plan;
    3; A qualified beneficiary begins coverage under another group
    Health plan after electing continuation coverage (as long as that
    Plan doesn’t impose an exclusion or limitation with respect to a
    Preexisting condition of the qualified beneficiary);
    4 A qualified beneficiary becomes entitled to Medicare benefits
    After electing continuation coverage;
    5; A qualified beneficiary engages in conduct that would justify the
    Plan in terminating coverage of a similarly situated participant or
    Beneficiary not receiving continuation coverage (such as fraud).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 Ford Mustang Cobra [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra. I have put a new starter, Alt, battery, battery cables, safety neutral switch on clutch and clutch. It also has had a tune up! I am still having trouble starting it. It starts sometimes and doesn't start others. I have had it towed twice to mech and then it starts...

How long must one be on a group plan for COBRA eligibility? [ 3 Answers ]

Do COBRA regulations specify how long an employee must be on their specific group plan before becoming eligible for COBRA? Or is this determined by individual states? Is the COBRA benefit only available for 18 months?

COBRA Eligibility [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide to quit my existing job where I Have been for 8 months and have medical insurance can I elect COBRA continuation even though I have only been there 8 months?

Cobra Insurance Coverage [ 2 Answers ]

I will be leaving my current employer in one week. I will be starting with my new company immediately. I will lose my health care benefits the day I quit my current employer, and will not pick up my new coverage for 1 month. My question is what are the rules on COBRA retroactive? For...

Catastrophic illness while on COBRA [ 1 Answers ]

I am in between jobs and elected to use COBRA from my prior job until I find another job with health insurance. Let's say I am diagnosed with a catastrophic illness such as cancer while on COBRA? The maximum length of time one can be on COBRA is 16 months. IF I found another job that has health...

View more questions Search