Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vivian64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2012, 06:31 AM
    Hippa violations between co workers
    I work in a hospital and over the last 1 yr or so, I have been missing a lot of work due to being diagnosed with heart failure. Now I have mention to people of my condition and have left it at that.
    I have recently found out through several coworkers that when I am not there, they are stating "she needs to be fired", "she needs to go on disability", "she misses alot of work" with other coworkers. Now in all of this I am also on "interment FMLA". After hearing all the talks when I am not around, I chose to tell people that instead of discussing what needs to be done to me or what they they I need to do, they have no business discussing my health issues.

Is this a violation of HIPPA on my coworkers or the facilities part?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
    No. Since you shared with those co-workers the nature of your issues, there is no HIPAA violation. A violation would only have occurred if you were being treated at your hospital and a co-worker went into your records.

However, this is something that your supervisor or HR should handle. If your co-workers feel you are not pulling your share of the load, then have the right to complain to management. Management/HR has the obligation to deal with the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa violations [ 1 Answers ]

Is it against hippa for a manager to discuss work related business about an employee to their co workers?

Hippa violations [ 4 Answers ]

I came into work this morning and found an invoice of a bill I owed taped to my computer for everyone to see. This invoice had my personal information on it, such as my address phone # and date of birth as well as the nature of the bill ( it was a radiology test) I fell my privacy was violated. Is...

HIPPA Violations [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on short-term disability due to anxiety and panic disorder. I received a call from a head hunter the other day (the one I used to get my current job) he told me that he saw my boss at an open house that his company had and my boss had asked him if he has talked to me and she also...

Hippa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question that no one may be able to answer, but I would like some feed back from some of you. My local hospital has recently fired and/or suspended several employee for looking up their own medical records, claiming it is a HIPPA violation. I am very confused about this because how is it...

View more questions Search