Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Employee insurance benefit package
    Is this legal for my employer to do?

I recently took the health insurance offered by the company (first time in 6 yrs.)
    My supervisor states: "since I now take the health insurance, I will be making .35 cents less an hour"

I already pay for this insurance every pay period - my portion is $44

The employer pays 75% and the employee pays 25%.

Since I am already paying for this benefit package, why should I be getting less per hour now as well?
    So I'm really paying more than the $44 p/pay period if you count in what that .35 cents adds up to be.

Doesn't sound right to me... HELP PLEASE.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2009, 06:26 PM

I agree, it doesn't sound right. But I suspect you have missed reading something, since you seem to have a problem with reading instructions. I moved your post from Forum Help where you originally posted ignoring the instructions that it is only for questions about using this site.

So go back and read the fine print about enrollment. If there is nothing about a salary reduction, then take it up with your HR department.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 06:32 PM

What is a pay period, one week, two week or once a month

The 35 cents a hour if figured on a moth would be the 44 dollars, so if the 44 dollars the charge per month, perhaps that is what he was referring to.

If in doubt go to HR and ask them

Feb 17, 2009, 06:51 PM

Good point. The .35 could be the hourly portion of the employee contribtion.

Feb 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Thanks there Scott G. - is that any way to talk to a new member? NO I don't have a problem with instructions.

Maybe you read my question wrong?

I already pay for this insurance benefit - it is deducted from my check 2 times a month.
    So why should I now have to make less an hour just because I take the insurance?

The supervisor asked IS the HR person also. I'm at a dead end.

I welcome anyone else to please answer this question for me!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 07:09 PM

They can not lower your pay just because you choise insurance, that just does not make sense.

He said you did not follow instrustions since you posted your question in the wrong place and he had to move it ot the raight area

Feb 18, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjma View Post
    Thanks there Scott G. - is that any way to talk to a new member?? NO I don't have a problem with instructions.
    When you open the Forum Help area at the very top is a large red warning to read first before posting. When you click on that warning, it advises that the forum Help area is ONLY for questions about using this site.

You either ignored the instruction to read that first or ignored the instructions not to post questions there. Either way, it shows a penchant for not reading instructions.

Is that anyway for a new member to act? Shouldn't a new member make sure they understand how the site works before posting? Especially when the instructions are made very obvious?

Feb 19, 2009, 04:49 AM
    You are obviously not a "people person"... Too bad you had to "exert" yourself to fix my error.
    Maybe you should take a break from this extra job, it's starting to get to you! Try to have a good day... :)

"life is good - don't sweat the small stuff"

Feb 19, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjma View Post
    You are obviously not a "people person" ..... Too bad you had to "exert" yourself to fix my error.
    Maybe you should take a break from this extra job, it's starting to get to you!! Try to have a good day....:)
    Yes, I can see where you might make that assumption based solely on this thread. But perusing my other answers would show that its in an incorrect assumption.

At least you have admitted that you made an error. I volunteer my time and time I have to spend to fix errors like yours may take away from my being able to answer someone's question. And no, this "job" is not getting to me. But when you have tried to do everything you think possible to help people use this site properly, and you still get people who don't read or ignore instructions, yes, that part does get to me.

But I am curious as to why you ignored the instructions. We designed this site as best we could to channel new posters into the correct paths for posting. Yet still we get people who ignore those efforts. You can help us by explaining why you chose the Forum Help area to post in. Why you scrolled past all the other forums and what you thought they indicated. Why you didn't read (or ignored) the Read Me First instructions before posting.

I'm very serious about this. We are constantly trying to improve the site. And if you can explain why you did what you did it may help us prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 07:23 AM

I would believe the supervisor/HR person is telling you that your contribution to the health insurance means that you will take home .35 less per hour because that is what it takes to make up your portion of the premium.

Did the supervisor say your wages were being reduced by .35 because you took the health insurance? If you are unsure, ask them what your hourly wage is now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

Option: Relocation Package or Bonus Package - What is Better? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been offered a lump sum relocation package or it can also be a lump sum bonus package. I live in FL and will by moving to NYC. What would be the best offer to take with the least in taxes?

View more questions Search