Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wallyboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
    IDE HDD 3.5" external
    I have an external HDD for storing movies, I think I must have two sections ( or more) to my HDD since when I go to load a movie it tells me that it is already there... but I cannot find it. Sometimes the drive letter changes on it own. And also I cannot get the movie.
    Can some one tell me please ,How to change the volume or partition. If this is the case that I have stated, or explain to me what is happening, I am 81 years of age and fairly new to the computer, and not very bright. Thanks Wally Australia Feb 7 2007 :o
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 6, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Hi Wally welcome aboard.
    If you go to start/all programs/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management you will be able to see all your drives [this is assuming your using windows xp]
    Let us know what drives you find.
    Wallyboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    Hi Wally welcome aboard.
    if you go to start/all programs/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk managment you will be able to see all your drives [this is assuming your using windows xp]
    let us know what drives you find.
    Thank you for the prompt reply.. I found my drives as you said, and that did not indicate if my Drive F (the exteranl drive) had anything within it, i.e. two sections to it. So I am none the wiser . And I am running XP Home and Pentium 4
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 7, 2007, 03:28 AM
    To the best of my knowledge drive F is most times a cd/dvd drive. Is it listed as a disk or cd rom?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 7, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Drive letters change because Windows will assign the next available drive letter when needed, such as when plugging in external storage devices, like a HDD or usb flash key, or a memory card reader.

For example, if you plug in the HDD, then the flash key, then the card reader, drives will be: F: G: and H:. Although some memory card readers show as multiple drives so you might get H:, I:, J:, K:. Now if you remove the memory card reader, then plugged in the flash key first, then the HDD second, now the HDD is G:, the flash key is F:.

In a standard configuration, your main boot drive will be C: any other partitions on C: will be D:, E:, etc. and the last letter will be your CD/DVD-Rom drive.

If you install a second HD, it will be D:, and then any partitions on C: will follow (i.e. E:, F:, etc.) Any partitions on the D: drive will then follow that.

If you say your external drive is F:, then you have a C: and D: partitions and E: is your CD/DVD drive.

When you open your F: drive by clicking on "My Computer" do you see your movie files?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External HDD recognized, but not visible in MY Computer [ 10 Answers ]

Just bought a new USB2.0 Hard Drive External Storage System. I coonected it through USB and gets recognized by the computer but would not appear in my computer? I have never used it before and I assumed I would see it there, just like a Memory Stick when inserted. Assist Ona.

External HDD Error "Insert A Disk Into Drive" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a WD HDD installed into an external case. When I plug it into a USB port, a drive letter appears in "System Hardware", and it says the driver is OK and the device is working properly. It even gives me the model number of the WD drive! Driver Agent even confirms that the driver is OK. ...

USB to IDE Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, recently my computer's power supply went bust and so after a series of problems with it I have given up and instead now use the laptop I own. I had 2 hard drives within my Computer. One a Western Digital WD800 and the other a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB hard Drive. I didn't want to loose...

Sata cannot boot when IDE is present [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a problem with my new sata HDD. I install the winxp sp2 into the sata (with F6 etc for the raid). Everything are working normaly, but when I'm trying to install an ide HDD the sata is not appearing and is trying to boot from the ide. The bios doesn't see at all the sata hdd. My...

IDE Devices [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm planning on getting a new hard drive but I'm not sure if I'll have room for it in my PC. I'm not great with hardware so excuse me if I get some info wrong here. At the moment I have 4 IDE drives. 2 CD drives - one master, one slave, a hard drive (master) and a Zip drive (slave). ...

View more questions Search