Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandeepkumar23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Hard disk problem
    Hai,
    This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the basic problem so that I couls rectify it without taking it to the hardware shop. Just tell me what may be the besic hard disk problem. And I never fell it down or or not even it damaged somewhere... please help me...
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 9, 2006, 05:01 AM
    If it was working OK and then stopped then chances are that you have a hardware problem and you may need to service the drive. However, some basic things to check (long shot but worth a try):

- Check to make sure the power connector is seated properly
    - Check to make sure you are receiving power to the drive. Replace the power connector with another unused connector if you have to
    - Check the BIOS to make sure it is set to auto detect your drive
    - Check your IDE cable to make sure it is connected
    - Check your jumper on the cable in case by sheer bad luck it slipped and fell out (highly unlikely though)

Basically pretend that you're installing a new hard drive and go through the motions of setting it up from scratch and don't assume anything.

Good luck

Casey
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 05:06 AM
    Are you getting any errors messages?
    sandeepkumar23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2006, 10:02 PM
    Hai, once again.
    I have tried all the steps which you have given me sir cajalat. Anyway thank you very much sir.I am not getting any error messages sir. Any more sujjestions from you are side. It's not at all detecting the harddisk. And it's giving some sound which doesn't matter I think bcoz it's a sound which is coming very silently if ve keen observer it... any way thanks sirs...
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2006, 01:11 AM
    I have a problem sometimes I loose two disks on explorer, they are both connected to the second controler. I get them back by going to Control Panel / System / hardware / Device Manager / IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers / secondary IDE Cannel then right click choose uninstall, after done restart PC and let it find and install drivers for the drive. I've done this a couple times in the past with good results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100% CPU usage due to a new hard disk,please help me [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU...

Cannot access hard disk [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 HDs on my XP sysyem.Suddenly,I cannot access the slave,boot up locks up on"verifying DMI pool data". If I disconnect D: all is well.If I define d: as master and diconnect c:,I can then boot up from floppy and access the drive. The drive (20GIG) has partitions primary 8,extended 19+ and I...

Hard Disk - Bad Clusters [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I was getting physical problem in my hard disk C: drive, on scanning I got 11 bad clusters , also it was mentioned that from now onwards these bad clusters will not be used for data storage . Now I want to upgrade to WIN XP from 98 , so please tell me what should I do for that, and...

Hard disk problem [ 6 Answers ]

My computer has two hard drives, they are both detected and accessible via device manager but the second hard drive does not show up as a separate drive in my computer i.e.. As drive /:E so I can not load data on to it. How can I get to show as a separate drive.

Choosing Hard Disk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to buy a new hard disk, but I don't have much knowledge in this field. I would like to ask your opinion on choosing the best hard disk. I have take a look on the quatation of this particular computer store in my area. There are two choice that in my mind 1. 40GB Maxtor ATA...

View more questions Search