Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Apr 6, 2007, 02:39 AM
    A long long thread
    Hello there. I've decided this to be a long thread because I will ask many many things and I hope to discuss many things here.

If a coin is placed on a piece of card resting atop of a jar, it is possible to flick the card away sharply so that the coin falls into the jar. Explain why this is so.

Now my assumption is Newtons first law and smoothness of the card. The force exterted on the card to make it move is not in straight line acting on the coin. Newtons pair laws states that both forces muct act from two different object, same magnitude AND direction - so they have to act along the same route as well.

Considering the penny is atop the card, it is not receiving the force no?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Apr 6, 2007, 06:26 AM
    The coin falls because the friction between the coin and the card is not a large enough force to move the coin before the card is past and it falls. If the card had much higher friction then this would not be the case.
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Apr 6, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asterisk_man
    The coin falls because the friction between the coin and the card is not a large enough force to move the coin before the card is past and it falls. If the card had much higher friction then this would not be the case.
    Just what I thought. But I was also wondering if it was something to do with the magnitude and direction of the force applied

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too long [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm back well I went to get my pap smear done and it came out that I have a bacterial infection down there but they gave me medicine and put me on birth control ( the pill) well I have another problem now. Last Saturday I started my period but I wasn't finished with the green pills and now that...

Long-short-long [ 2 Answers ]

Hey you Okay I have a dilemma.For along time I had Long hair(almost to my butt)but then I started working out and it would get sweaty so I cut it shorter(wayyy shorter like I cut off over 20 inches)but now I kind of miss my long locks! All I can do is wait.But every time I had long hair somehow I...

Has it been too long? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old and I dropped out of school in the 9th grade. I was currently 17 then because I was behind. How can I get all of it back by going back to school? Do you think it's too late?

View more questions Search