Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naman hasan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 09:05 PM
    My hiar is dyd dark red/browncan I dye my hair dark brown with honey blond highlights
    I just died my hair dark brown but it looks redish brown more than anyhing, can I die it dark brown with honey blond highlights and get the results I want?
    Yellowannabe Posts: 67, Reputation: 12

Mar 3, 2010, 10:24 PM

What color was your hair originally? And what brand did you use to dye your hair?

I'm in cosmetology school and the first step to getting the results you want is to try be consistent with whatever brand you're using. If you used a Loreal product to dye your hair dark-brown, do not use for example, a Clairol product to highlight your hair.

Secondly, even though I don't know what your original color is, it's clear either you originally had red undertones in your hair or the chemistry of the dye you used emphasized them. First, I'd try to down-play the reddish tones so that you'll get a brown color all over. (I think you should wait at least 3 weeks, to prevent breakage.)

And then once you have the brown color you like, then you can proceed with the high-lights. (You should also wait a bit before you do the highlights.) Since you want blonde high-lights, most likely ammonia or its equivalent will be used as the bleaching agent. Please keep in mind that it is also a drying agent which can lead to dry, and brittle like hair, if not kept moisturized.

If you can afford it, I think you're best bet is to go to a stylist with a good rep. But if you have to do it on your own, remember to:
    1. Wait the appropriate amount of time for re-dying and highlights.
    2. Use the same brand!
    3. Use a dark brown dye that will downplay red undertones
    4. After highlighting, stay moisturized!

Happy Dye-ing/Highlighting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to dye dark brown hair red. [ 4 Answers ]

:( I have dark brown hair and I really want to dye it red. So I went out and bought a Auburn red hair dye and dyed it. Now my hair is medium length, but the hair dye I bought had a girl with short hair on the box.. I didn't think it matters. Well I love the color, but it didn't really get my...

Trying to dye red hair dark brown [ 10 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair red for years and have recently decided to let it go natural (dark brown). So I dyed my brassy red hair a pretty dark brown from a box and really liked the results, only to find that - surprise, surprise - with every wash it gets much lighter and much reder (even though it...

Dyeing hair from dark black brown to dark blond [ 1 Answers ]

Hello guys my hair is kind dark brown black I tried dying it with loreal with golden brown long time ago and some other colors I don't remember lol but doesn't turn out what I want to be but its OK. I always dye my hair by myself so always ready for the results and its OK can't complain. But...

Dark brown hair dye turned my hair red! [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, well I wanted to dye my hair dark brown, and it came out a deep red, that was lighter red at the roots. I had it dyed to ash brown (my natural color) and if faded in about 3 days. So 2 weeks later my hair was red again so I got it dyed ash brown again. And after a few days it started fading,...

Brown hair dye turend dark red [ 1 Answers ]

I am a natural blonde and last week I went to the hair dresser to get my hair dyed brown well the day after my hair was a dark green so I went back to get it fixed now my hair is a dark brown/red with a bit of orange:eek: what can I do to get the colors to fade quick? I want the red/orange gone...

View more questions Search