Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fuegodealmas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Purple to blonde
    Ok, so for the last year or so I have been dyeing my hair. First with store boxes, then "unnatural" colors. I have bleached it twice in about 7 months and it seems fine. I most recently used Raw deep purple, however, after 2 months it is fading pretty badly, as those colors tend to do. I am naturally light blonde, with very non-porous hair, necessitating the use of bleach. So as I said it is currently a faded purple, much darker in some spots than others. My question is:
    Do I need to bleach my hair before dyeing it back to blonde, or should a permanent color just go over the purple?
    Thanks
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Please do not apply a permanent hair color on your hair. It will make matters worse. If you want to go from purple to light blonde, you will need to strip or bleach your hair to a pale yellow stage and then apply a toner. I would recommend that you let a professional fix your hair.
    QueenofScots Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 11:48 AM

Im having the same trouble at the moment. Ive been using Schwartzkopf XXL Colour - Cyber Purple. Recently I consulted a salon about the issue at hand and the stylist told me not to bleach it as it kills your hair (which I already know). She insisted that I tried semi-permanent dyes - brown in colour - for a bit to get the health boosted more. Then she suggested I try a permanent brown over which I'd get blonde highlights. It takes time I guess but bleaching is just hair suicide! :( Hope this helps and good luck!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fuegodealmas View Post
    Ok, so for the last year or so i have been dyeing my hair. first with store boxes, then "unnatural" colors. I have bleached it twice in about 7 months and it seems fine. I most recently used Raw deep purple, however, after 2 months it is fading pretty badly, as those colors tend to do. I am naturally light blonde, with very non-porous hair, necessitating the use of bleach. So as I said it is currently a faded purple, much darker in some spots than others. my question is:
    Do I need to bleach my hair before dyeing it back to blonde, or should a permanent color just go over the purple?
    Thanks
    You won't be able to dye your hair back to blonde simply by using a permanent color over the purple. "Color won't lighten color". You may have to bleach it, but before you do that, you should use color remover, ColorFix, Color Oops, Igora Phantom. Those products will dissolve most of the artificial color so that it can be washed out. If you don't get it all out, it will "redevelop" simply by reacting with oxygen in the air, so you may need two applications. There may be traces of residual artificial pigment that will have to be bleached out.

If you attempt to bleach the purple out before using color remover, you will probably fail -- and after doing that, ColorFix and Color Oops will no longer work at all (overoxidized pigment can't be dissolved).

PrettyLady is correct that you will most likely have to lighten to pale yellow and then tone it.
    SJ_200990 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 08:35 AM
    I have a problem too. I had purple in my hair a while ago and it also kept fading to a sort of red. I have for the past year had brown over the top and also a golden brown on parts but have been growing it out. My natural hair colour which is mousy brown has grown about 7 inches. A couple weeks ago I decided to go blonde only on my underneath layer. Of course, the blonde came out great on my natural light mousy brown hair but on the died hair that's still growing out which previous has has purple in came out a peachy colour. I have used 3 belle blonde prelighters which lighten natural dark or dark died hair, and 4 Schwartzkopf blondes on the peachy parts of my hair. It is still not blonde enough. Will it ever go blonde?? I reckon it could just go white as I don't like pink can go yellow blonde.
    SJ_200990 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
    [I mean don't think pink can go blonde
    compier09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 11:46 PM
    I have the same problem to I just recently died my hair half purple and it was blond and it is already fading. And it has only been in for about 2 weeks. I didn't get mine done professionally I bought the store brand from Walgreen so I don't know if you can or not I am wanting mine back to all blond and it took me a long time to get it blond... I don't want to strip it cause it will take a long time to get it back to the blond I want so what everyone else says might be good!!

Hope this helps haha I am in the same situation but mine is only half purple and its not a dark purple!
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Jun 14, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Consult your hairdresser.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Colour Blonde to Red, need to fix back to blonde [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there, I am living in China, had my hair dyed red. (I am a natural red head but have been blonde for 10 years). The dye started to wash out, so I went back to the hairdresser and showed them and had it redone. All is fine except the colour is more of a pinky red rather than an auburn/copper...

Natural Blonde hair dyed BLACK.want blonde back [ 22 Answers ]

I dyed my hair black and it looks horrible. I have natural blonde hair and I really want it back... can I just buy a box of the same colour as my natural hair and dye it back? Any suggestions?:confused:

Brown to purple? Blonde hair dye? [ 1 Answers ]

I have naturally dark blonde hair. My roots were grown in about 2 inches and I wanted to back to a natural look, the bottom of my hair had brown hair dye on it with a few blonde highlights. It had been 3 months since I colored my hair. I bought some color at walmart and it was a blonde color. When...

3 days after hair color change blonde turned purple [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend had her (originally) brown hair changed to blonde by a stylist. She does this on a regular basis so she was just trying to have the roots and overall color updated. 3 days later after a shower and blowdry purple streaks appeared. Any thoughts?

View more questions Search