Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lylcoop Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 11:53 PM
    Hair cutting/layering help
    :confused:
    Hello all,

I wear extensions and I apply them myself.

I am having a problem blending my hair with the extension hair because mine stops at my neck and the extensions stop at my bra strap. The sides of my hair stop at my ears, and there is a visible difference. It looks cut off.

I have been looking for a way to blend (cut) my hair, and the extension hair in layers. I do not know how to cut hair, but through trial and error, I have managed to blend it, sort of, but it is time consuming, and it still doesn't look right. I know there is an easier way, but I am not having any success thus far.

I apply the extensions myself because I cannot afford to have a salon do it, so I desperately need to learn how to do this myself. Please, if you can assist me, or direct me to a site that can show me, or illustrate the cutting techniques for free, I would be eternally grateful!

lylcoop
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 1, 2005, 12:20 AM
    It is important that your hair extensions understands all aspects of hair and not just attach it to your head. The colors, textures and cutting should blend into the final look your trying to achieve. I don't recommend cutting the extensions on your own. It's best to let a licensed hair dresser do it for you, cutting and blending your extensions doesn't cost much, it depends on the hair salon you go to.
    -

Nov 1, 2005, 10:28 PM
    If you don't want to go to the salon to have your extensions layered cut, then I will take you through the steps. I have to let you know that it's going to be difficult to cut your extensions by yourself. Layers are created by holding the hair to a slight elevation while establishing the hanging length. If you hold the hair flat against your head, no elevation equals no layering. If the hair is held at a 45-degree elevation, the perimeter will be moderately layered. This slight perimeter layering will promote softness, removing excess weight, and allowing the ends to move freely.

The top and crown area layering is most common, as it removes some of the length in the crown and frontal areas so the hair will move away from the head. If the hair is left too long in the crown, the hair will lie flat to the head. If the crown hair is cut slightly shorter, the hair, with the less weight and gravity pull, will stand away from the head, giving the look of volume. If you need further assistance you can PM me.

Nov 25, 2005, 11:55 PM
    Thank you...
    Hi PrettynPetite1,

Thank you for responding to my post and for actually offering to walk me through cutting my own hair/extensions. Other replies either referred me to “my local hair salon”, or another website to buy hair products etc… when what I need is to be shown, or point me to an online site that provides free illustrated how to's.

My goal is to be able to wash my hair and leave it without having to blow dry and curl my hair. This is hard on extension hair. I just want my hair and the Ext. hair to blend and not look so cut off, and when I blow dry and curl it it looks good, because curling it helps it all to look blended together.

My hair is also wavy and the extension hair is straight (I tried the curly ext. hair they have, but it is processed and very dry and too curly). So, this is why I need some help. Thanks again PrettynPetite1, I look forward to your reply…

lylcoop
    -

Nov 27, 2005, 07:09 PM
    The layer Cut
    I've edited my previous post and retyped the instructions to make it simpler for you to understand. This technical procedure of a hair cut require skills, that's why most people have referred you to a hair salon. It takes a few minutes for me to do a layer cut on a person. But it's very difficult for someone who hasn't had any experience with hair cutting to attempt this technique at home. I know that you don't want to go to a salon, therefore, I've carefully typed out these instructions to help you achieve this look. Please have your girlfriend or family member assist with the procedure.

The Layer Cut
    Vertical Sectioning:
    Establishing Equal Weight

It's important that you section the hair the right way before you do the layer cut. There has to be 3 elevations when cutting layers from the top crown to the nape, vertical sections are used for control. This control is imperative in achieving a well balanced finished in the perimeter area of the head shape. Vertical cutting downward achieves control in length, angles, blending and shape.

Sectioning:

Wet your hair and comb it. Take a tail comb and use the end to part the hair from ear to ear, then your going to part it down the middle. Now you will have 2 sections, one on the front right side, and one on front left side. Twist the sections with your hands and pin them up with a hair clip. The front is going to remain untouch because you have to cut the back first.

The layer cut consist of 3 elevations. So your going to section your hair in the back in 3 sections vertically (downward), when your done you will a right, center and left section. Then your going part your hair (parallel) at the crown all the way around, and from the top of the ears from ear to ear. You should have a total of 9 sections in the back when your done. Be sure the sections are neatly pinned up with hair clips.

Cutting The Layers:

Center

1. First Elevation: Take the clip off from center crown section, comb through the section, then use your fingers to hold your hair (you must always put your fingers between the sections before you cut it), hold the section perpendicular (upright angel) to the scalp and cut the desire length in a downward direction. When your done cutting that section, hold on to some of the hair so you can join it with the next section, (guide). Second Elevation: Your going remove the second hair clip from the center middle section, then hold it perpendicular and cut it downward using a piece of hair from the first elevation as your guideline. Third Elevation: Remove the clip from the center bottom section, and continue to cut all the way down to the nape. Some of the hair is going to be shorter on the bottom, don't try to cut it, let it drop. It's very important that you always follow the guideline when your doing a hair cut. Don't lose the guide, it will show you how much hair to cut next.

Right Side

2. First Elevation: Remove the hair clip from the top right and join it with some hair from the center, which is your guide. Comb it through and hold the section perpendicular and cut downward. Second Elevation: Hold on to some of the hair (guideline) and continue cutting downward. Third Elevation: Use the guide and cut downward all the way to the nape holding the hair perpendicular.

Left Side

3. First Elevation: Remove the hair clip from the top left section, then join it with the hair from the center. Comb it through, hold it perpendicular and cut downward. Second Elevation: Hold the hair perpendicular and cut downward, be sure to look for the guide before cutting. Third Elevation: Again your going to hold the hair perpendicular and cut downward to the nape.

Front

4. Remove the hair clip from the left side and join it with the cut hair from the crown (guide). You have to match the hair holding the section perpendicular (upward) to the scalp at temple level and cut only the access length. Hold all the hair on the front left side downward in a perpendicular angle and cut off the access length. Don't attempt to cut the shorter hairs in the front, just let drop. Remove the hair clip from the front right side, then join it with the hair from the front left. Hold the hair again in a downward perpendicular angle, look for the guide and cut off the access length. The layers at the back confirm to head shape while the layers at the side confirm to the design angle.

Nov 27, 2005, 08:35 PM
    Total sections?
    Hi Petite,

Ok, when sectioning hair do I have a total of 8 sections, 2 in front (before ears) and 6 in the back (after ears)?

lylcoop
    -

Nov 27, 2005, 09:17 PM
    Now that I've edited and retyped the instructions to make it simpler, I hope you understand it. If you have anymore questions I will be happy to answer them.

Dec 1, 2005, 06:03 PM
    So far so good!
    :D Thanks Petite! I tried it out on my daughters dolls, and it works wonderfully. At least the back part. I still have to finish the 2 front sections. I am still confused with how to cut this part because first you say: to "hold it up to temple level, and cut access length", than: "hold it downward and cut access length". Can you help me with this part?

Aside from that, as I said, it worked great. You don't know the frustration you've saved me from, not to mention the time by explaining all of this to me. I thank you. I know it must have been time consuming for you, I appreciate it. Thanks again...

lylcoop
    -

Dec 1, 2005, 10:17 PM
    I think it's great that you practiced the hair cut on your daughters dolls. You can also practice on the hair of a realistic mannequin head, you will find it at a beauty supply store. Don't feel that your consuming my time, I like being supportive. My objective for joining this website is to help people.

I'm going to make the front easier for you to cut.

Front

When you remove the clip from the front left side, join the hair with some of the cut crown hair (guide). Hold the section vertical in a perpendicular (upward) angle and cut toward the front, where the hairline is. Be sure that you cut all the hair on left that way using the guide. Now your going remove the hair clip from the front right side, then join it with the hair from the front left. Your going to cut it the same way as the left side. Hold the section vertical in a (upward) angle, follow the guide and cut all the way toward the front. You can check front hair cut by holding the hair up vertical or horizontal to see if the cut is even.
    hairlv2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2005, 02:07 AM
    Hair cut... Interesting Topics
    What a good topics then. Anyway, I'm a haircut lover. Currently become a freelance hairstylist. Since hairstylist according to my opinion that is a sense of art, I just give a hair cut for the ladies that want to have long layered cut only. Got interested from the thread that the cut is started from the crown area, which I used to practice to start cutting from the bottom / neck area to get the length pattern.

Also for 9 partings matter, could picture being given?:)

Thanks a lot
    -

Dec 15, 2005, 09:26 PM
    Hairly2, whether your doing a long layer cut or a short layer cut, you must start at the crown. The crown establishes the guide length, and you will notice the layer within the perimeter. If you're an experienced stylist, the 9 sections don't matter. But if you're a beginner and don't have any experience at cutting hair, it's better to section the hair. I've done the impossible by typing layering cut procedures. I know that some people don't have the time or the money to go get their hair cut, so I took the liberty of giving them hair cutting instructions. I was going give instructions on how to do a face frame cut, but maybe some other time.

Last week, my boyfriend and I were going to the movies and we happened to pass by the beauty school I attended, I asked him to pull over the car so that I can go in and visit my instructor. I haven't seen her since I graduated, and she was so happy to see me. My instructor was proud that I've used my skills to help others, she also reminded me that I can't help everyone. She tried to get me to concentrate in class because I sat in the back and guys would always look at me through the glass door. Guys can't keep their eyes off me for some reason, and she thought it was distracting me, therefore, she kept telling me to move my seat up to her desk whenever we were doing theories and reviews. So I remembered telling her that if she moved me up any further, I'll be sitting on her desk, and it made her laugh. She told me that she's pleased that I'm doing well and that I've entered the beauty and fashion field.

If your considering becoming a stylist, remember that you must have the dexterity and a sense of form and artistry. Hairstyles are always changing, as a stylist you must keep developing the latest fashions and beauty techniques. If your confident in your abilities you can accomplish anything.
    hairlv2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 04:32 AM
    I don't know whether I become a real hairstylist or not. Let me tell you my story...
    Since very young I had been interested in hairstyling. Especially haircutting for woman, even though I'm a normal man. That's become my obesssion. I like watching the long hair being parted and pinned up with some hairclips and perhaps one day I will do that. Not so sure whether it's sexual desires or not. In fact, watching the gals with long hair while being caped and parted turns me on. I always read on step by step cutting series on every hair magazine I had. Until, I know the "logic" of hair cutting. I knew what's the effect if hair being pulled to the front, how to make it layered, etc. I'm too shame to say to my parent and really try to hide my interest to any people. This is because you know, in my country, the hair / cosmetic industries are almost related to gay, shemales, etc etc. I don't want to make my mom shocked, whle in actual, I'm a real man. I NEVER feeling that I like homosexual. Until I realise hair styling for me had become my very big fetish.

Until I got job, then I pay for short haircourse. I took woman's hair cut basic. The teacher of mine at that time appluse me that I had been very talented in hair cutting. She said, one day I will be a great hairstylist. This is because at the very first time, when I used hair mannequinne, she said I had done very good partings. In just a few hours after series cut of mannequinn, she said, I was able to cut long layered style already. Then while practicing, I don't need to have so many partings for the hair. Just part it front and back. Then back become left and right and then up and down. Then start cutting.

Secondly, I took another haircut course. 1 day course. Since I had been interested a lot in long hair / layer cut style, and noted that chinese gals have very beautiful hair, I went to one hair salon owned by chinese lady. She thought me in very good way in cut the layered hair. She let me do some of her clients. I was very happy.

Luckily, my office had much pretty chinese ladies that lived in singapore. I offer to them to let me cut the hair. Mosly they want long layered cut. I did at their house. Some of them had been regularly let me trim the hair.

Not only cutting, there's 1 gal that understand me so much about my interest. She let me do anything to her hair. She had waist length layered hair. I did make ponytail, and make any updo on her. Or even just comb her hair.

In the mean time, I offer haircut for gals that I meet in the street. But some of them let me do that. As such, not so easy to persuade a gal to have hair cut. Beside she just know me.

I really want to be a hairstylist, but I feel shae if people will look at me so weird with this profession... :(
    -

Dec 16, 2005, 05:19 PM
    Hairstylists are women and men, it's not just a woman's profession. I've met some famous and not so famous men hairstylists, and a lot of them were straight. Ever since I was a young girl, I was into fashion and beauty and all that good stuff. So, I decided to go to cosmetology school, then I graduated and got my cosmetology license. Now I'm in the beauty as well as fashion business. My friends who are in the fashion industry try to get me to model or let photographers take pictures of me. I prefer using my skills and techniques to make people look and feel beautiful, but sometimes I make sacrifices and offer my presence for the love of fashion.

You should go to school to get your license, I think you will make a great hairstylist. Students gain theory and lab experience in skin, scalp, and hair analysis; shampooing; styling; cutting hair; permanent waving; chemical hair relaxing; hair coloring and lightening; manicuring and pedicuring; skin care; and make-up. The program also covers business ethics and salon management, math, communications, and human relations.

Don't let people discourage you from becoming a hairstylist just because you're a man. Some of the best hairstylists are men. If your comfortable with your masculinity, it shouldn't stop you from pursuing your dream job. So, if you love cutting women's hair, you should go to school and get your license. Good luck in everything you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Hair extensions and layering [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I just got extensions and they look great! But I need to get them layered in order to look a little less "fake" can anybody post a pic of long (straight) "extended" hair that has been layered? I am going to my own hairstylist (not the person who did the extensions) I'm wondering if regular...

Cutting hair [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me how to go about 'texturizing' the top of my hair for volume?

Hair Cutting [ 2 Answers ]

How can I layer the top of my hair only. Do I hold the hair straight up vertically or horizontally? Do I cut it straight off. Do I cut from front to back, or back to front? I'm trying but need three hands. I know there is an easier way. Thanks for the help in advance. Glad to be on board. ...

Gas cutting [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to know about gas cutting application,i.e. using oxygen & LPG ( Propane + Butane). Kindly letme know the comparison when using oxygen with Acetylene.

View more questions Search