Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LucyMcgoo Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Oct 15, 2006, 07:59 PM
    HOrrendous Hair knot
    I have already asked this question before but no one has answered so I am desperate and hopefully with a new title someone will answer. Anyway, I had brain surgery and when I woke up from the anesthesia my butt length hair was in this horrendous knot which does not seem to be budging. I have talked to at least 20 hairdressers and cosmetologists and none of them knew what to do besides apply heat. Soooo, do any of you know what I can do besides heat, oils, conditioners, water and picking?

:confused:
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 16, 2006, 08:02 PM
    Yes, I've read your duplicate posts. Shampoo your hair and apply a leave-in conditioner and distribute it throughout your hair. Then use a wide-tooth comb and gently comb out the knots. You can also apply an anti-frizz serum before combing out your hair.

Oct 16, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Haha, that doesn't work
    I've already done everything that is remotely like that. THis thing is like rock hard!!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 16, 2006, 10:27 PM
    You have been given some great tips on how remove the knots from your hair. However, nothing seems to be working on you. Try applying baby oil to the knots, and then take a wide tooth comb and comb through it. If this doesn't work, I recommend that you go to the salon and have a hairstylist help you remove the knots.

Oct 28, 2006, 11:07 PM
    Well, thanks for the tips and by the way, it's not "knots" it is one big knot bigger than my fist. (Dumb hospital nurses... )
    Kord Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 05:19 AM
    Dear Lucy,

I have four children, two who inherited my unfortunate gene of bird's nests when we move our heads about. One time my littlest had one so bad, I told her I had to go get something to help me get out the knot. She was five at the time so this worked. She wanted to cry and they get impatient, but I kept saying "Bubby (nickname), Bubby, I feel something, I feel something! I"m not sure what it is though, hang in there" Meanwhile I gingerly held an egg in my closed hand. When we finally got the worst of the knot I exclaimed "BUBBY!! LOOK! " and handed her the egg. She was so fascinated and proud of her egg which of course we ate for breakfast...

Well, anyway hers was as long as yours. Before bed I would put in a gentle and loose braid to minimize knots. Then the times I forgot...

So WET is key here, as well as conditioner, don't be cheap about it, but not dripping. You should be able to see the hair. Starting at the lowest point, gently use the END of the comb, like as you are slicing, not combing. Think of the rattail comb point end. . Only work in very short pieces, maybe only releasing or loosening one hair at a time sometimes, but always from the ends inward. Be ever so patient. It took us what seemed forever a few times.

Good luck, I hope your surgery went well, and your knot releases. My heart goes out to you.
    girleclown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 02:24 AM
    I have your problem now. I am desperate... I went into a beauty salon to have my hair colored and she got a big knot in it. I left and found another lady who said that she could get the knot out now 90% of my hair is hard as a rock on the back on my head and I am desperate to save it. I have cried many tears over the last three days and just don't know what to do. My hair was down to my waist on Wednesday and now it is all in a hard rock the size of a orange on the back of my head. The second lady made it soooo much worse. I have no idea what to do and the thought of cutting it brings me into meltdown mode. Any ideas??
    nataliiemariie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
    I have the same thing. Except , I don't have one big knot. I have like bunches a medium sized ROCK HARD knots in the back . Like what I thought that seemed to cause this is I died my hair about 6 times. & I always used hairspray to scrunch my hair since I knew I couldn't straighten it. & I feel like the hairspray makes it worse. But I don't know what to do. But anyway I have HUGE knots. & I just want them to go away. Someone help me before I just cut them out ):
    nataliiemariie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 11:41 AM
    I have the same thing. Except , I don't have one big knot. I have like bunches a medium sized ROCK HARD knots in the back . Like what I thought that seemed to cause this is I died my hair about 6 times. & I always used hairspray to scrunch my hair since I knew I couldn't straighten it. & I feel like the hairspray makes it worse. But I don't know what to do. But anyway I have HUGE knots. & I just want them to go away. Someone help me before I just cut them out ):
    Kasaqueen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 06:26 AM
    I have the same problem :( a huge knot in the front part and back of my head. Would a hairdresser be able to get rid of these?
    AshoMoney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
    I am having the same problem as you girls.

A friend of mine who is a trainee hairdresser was working on my hair. She put some lotion or something in it and told me to let it sit over night and put my hair in a bun. The next day when I tried to brush it, my hair was terrible. It is full of knots and I can barely brush it. They are very painful and hard as a rock. I've even tried to take a shower and I loaded my hair up with conditioner and it's still the same. I'm so fed up with it now that I'm thinking of just getting a pair of scissors and cutting it. But the thoughts of it breaks my heart. Any of you have any solution to my problem? :'(
    greenqueen86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 09:05 PM
    Biolage conditioning balm works great to loosen it up and get your hair tangle free. Also, look for shampoo made for surfers or swimming.
    lxxnn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
    Omg I thougth I was the only one out there. I'm pregnant and got so sick that nothing matter to me. So I didn't brush my hair and now am suffering. My whole entier hair is in one big knot and my hair is SUPER LONG which makes it worse. I really don't know what to do and keep crying every time I look in the mirror. WHAT DO I DO??
    iamanj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
    I have been in this same situation and I actually had to end up cutting my hair short enough so that the knot was cut off. It wasn't the easiest choice since my hair was almost reaching my knees and I ended up getting it cut to chin length, but it solved the problem.
    biancaS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
    I used to brush my sisters hair which was very knotty.. I used to put a pillow under her head and carefully brush abit at a time on the pillow making it easier to get to the knots and more gentle on her head.. She had eczema on her scalp she used to scratch it raw so it was kind of manky and soar.. Using a brush and some conditioner and try to brush and separate the hair
    Valerya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Me tooooo!! I have long real curly hair and after going to the beach and taking my extensions out my hair got a huge knot on the back of my head and now it looks like it's the length of my shoulders! I don't know what to do I have tried every tip given and it just doesn't work. I refuse cutting my hair!! :'(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair loss due to hair dye [ 14 Answers ]

I feel sooo terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or...

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

How to get rid of hair dye/keeping hair dye from fading [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have kind of a problem and no one knows what to do, especially me! I have beautiful dark dark brown hair. I don't know why, but I let someone highlight my hair blonde about 2 years ago. They turned orange, so I dyed my hair dark brown again to get my color back and I was happy. Within a...

My hair [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, I went to the beauty shop. Deciding that I wanted a new doo. So I picked out a color, which wasn't far from my natural color light brown. And when she dried my hair, it was a little darker than I expected, in fact I noticed that it looked kind of orange. Now my mom paid for it and...

View more questions Search