Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mancgirl Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Hair colour went wrong.going back to dark blonde?
    Well I decided to bleach my lovely dark blonde hair to get blonder hair myself... a disaster! It turned a lot of colours white, yellow and orange. My friend (not a hairdresser!) advised me to dye it dark brown as this would take it back to dark blonde... oh no it didn't! Instead it went lots of different orange, reds and browns!! :eek:

Today I took a trip to the hairdressers... head hung in shame!

They put on a all over dark brown colour and it looks a lot better (Still a little reddish at the roots). However, still not happy as I don't think it suits me... even though others think it's nice its too much of a shock from my usual colour for me. :)

- How am I best to approach going lighter gradually?
    - What do I ask for at the hairdressers next time?
    - Will the hair colour fade out to be a light brown colour which I can eventually get blonde hairlights in to gradually lighten it up?
    - How often can I go to get dyed at hairdressers?
    - Should I attempt to wash it out.(with dandruff shampoo etc)... if so what colour will it go? :confused: argg!

Sorry for so many questions... would appreciate your help. Thank you!
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Jun 2, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Seems your hair turned to all those different colours due to your hair being porous and uneven application. The white hair was from leaving the bleach on too long (that's the lightest it's going to get lol), the yellow is fine (you just put on a violet toner and viola! Lovely blonde hair) and the orange is due to not leaving the bleach on long enough! And seeing as you have all three of those colours, it will be difficult to go back to blonde. Unless you spot bleach/colour (where you pick out the bits that are white, orange, yellow) which is a bit difficult!

I think you will really need to grow your hair out in order to go blonde again. But if you want to get highlights, then you'll need to see your hairdresser for this. And be sure to tell her/him what happened. Fine highlights would probably be best as you won't see much of the white ('cause it's really fine).

Don't use dandruff shampoo unless you really want to fade your colour - which could turn out to be uneven.

Jun 2, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Thanks punkchick.

It's not white anymore though it's a dark brown. Do you mean it will fade to white (and the other colours!) again and not to my natural colour?
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Jun 2, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Yes it's not white anymore because it has been covered with a brown. If the colour totally fades then yes it will go to all those other colours as bleach is a stripper (how wrong does that sound? Lol.) and it's stripped out your natural.

Jun 2, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Arrg! Ok then so it is a complete disaster! Lol

When do you think is the best time to go back to the hairdressers for them to dye it lighter gradually with highlights... is every 4 weeks OK?
    Guess I'll have to live with it for a while have got really short hair though so shouldn't take long to grow out... phew
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Sweetie, I've Been Doing Hair For 14 Years And See This All Too Often. Firstly, Go Get A Reconstructing Conditioner, Like Redken Deep Fuel Or Joico's Reconstructor. Apply A Generous Amount To Freshly Shampooed, Towel Dried Hair And Put A Plastic Cap Over It . Use The Heat Of Your Blow Dryer To Make It Penetrate Better For About 15 Minutes. Rinse. Repeat Twice A Week.. Leave It Alone For A Couple Months. The Brown Color Will Fade Quickly On It's Own Because Your Hair Is So Overprocessed!! Trust Me, If You Try To Lighten It Before Rebuilding It You Will Melt Your Hair.

Jun 3, 2008, 01:33 AM
    That makes sense Jenn, Thank you I'll follow you're advice.
    SugarKisses Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mancgirl
    Well I decided to bleach my lovely dark blonde hair to get blonder hair myself ......a disaster! It turned a lot of colours white, yellow and orange. My friend (not a hairdresser!) advised me to dye it dark brown as this would take it back to dark blonde....oh no it didn't! Instead it went lots of different orange, reds and browns!!!! :eek:

Today I took a trip to the hairdressers...head hung in shame!

They put on a all over dark brown colour and it looks a lot better (Still a little reddish at the roots). However, still not happy as I don't think it suits me.....even though others think it's nice its too much of a shock from my usual colour for me. :)

- How am I best to approach going lighter gradually?
    - What do I ask for at the hairdressers next time?
    - Will the hair colour fade out to be a light brown colour which I can eventually get blonde hairlights in to gradually lighten it up?
    - How often can I go to get dyed at hairdressers?
    - Should I attempt to wash it out.(with dandruff shampoo etc).....if so what colour will it go? :confused: argg!

Sorry for so many questions....would appreciate your help. Thank you!
    Hey, this isn't really advice but I'm in exactly the same boat, 3 weeks later my brown hair is fading but terrified of going back to that bleached colour!
    Might do a britney and shave it off :P
    Xx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I dye over bleached blonde hair back to dark brown and it not fade [ 11 Answers ]

About 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted blonde highlights. My wife used Loreal Color Rays bleach blonde kit. And put in a lot of streaks. My natural color hair is dark brown. Of course you can imagine how it turned out. The streaks turned out yellowy orange and looked horrible. I waited a week...

Dying bleached blonde hair back to dark brown [ 9 Answers ]

I have bleached blonde hair and I am wanting to dye it back to my natural color. I can't afford to go to the salon so what do you suggest. Also, my I have tried to go to a dark blonde, but I think it has a green tint to it. Also I need suggestions on getting my hair healthy again after getting it...

Hair Colour Blonde to Red, need to fix back to blonde [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there, I am living in China, had my hair dyed red. (I am a natural red head but have been blonde for 10 years). The dye started to wash out, so I went back to the hairdresser and showed them and had it redone. All is fine except the colour is more of a pinky red rather than an auburn/copper...

Dark blonde hair w/ blonde highlights. Need out [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... so I have dark blonde to light brown hair... I decided to put blonde highlights in... but yeah... they's a little too light of blonde. Is there a VERY quick way that I can tone down the blonde to blend a little better w/ my hair color? 1. my dad doesn't know yet.. and yea... he not going...

I Want My Dark Blonde Hair Back Please! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay,so I Tried Putting More Bleach Blonde Highlights In My Hair-Febuary2006 After Paying $200 At The Salon To Have Them Put In-January2006 I Turned My Pretty Highlights Orange.I Covered Them Up With A Dark Brown And Have Been Covering Them Up For The Past Year.I Buy The Darkest Brown Hair Dye From...

View more questions Search