Black hair, dyed brown, how can I dye it ash brown?

Asked Apr 15, 2007, 08:32 PM 19 Answers
    Hi I have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. I have been dying it black for the past two years. Today I bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". Obviously it didn't come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown.

My hair is actually still very healthy after bleaching and dying it today... I was wondering what can i do to make it more of an ash brown? should i bleach it again then try a lighter ash brown? or how do I get the red out? Thanks so much for any help! I'm inserting my hair before I dyed it and after... maybe it can help show you how it came out..

&

I would really like it this color... or a little darker..
    P.S. my eyes are blue so I this color would work... thanks again!

Last edited by beautybabe12; Apr 15, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
    PrettyLady's Avatar
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

#2

Apr 16, 2007, 04:46 PM
    You don't have to bleach your hair again. If you want to tone down the red tones and make your hair look more ash brown, use an ash brown color. Leave the color mixture on for ten minutes, then rinse it out.
    dispicablycool's Avatar
    dispicablycool Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#3

Jun 8, 2007, 03:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beautybabe12
    hi i have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. i have been dying it black for the past two years. today i bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". obviously it didnt come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown.

my hair is actually still very healthy after bleaching and dying it today... i was wondering what can i do to make it more of an ash brown? should i bleach it again then try a lighter ash brown? or how do i get the red out? thanks so much for any help! im inserting my hair before i dyed it and after...maybe it can help show you how it came out..

&

i would really like it this color... or a little darker..
    P.S. my eyes are blue so i this color would work... thanks again!
    Hey, sorry I'm no use to what you asked but id like to ask you a question! I dyed my hair jet black yesterday [im naturally very dark brown] and it was meant to be dark brown [it'd gone ginger from previous dying] but it went black, id love to have it the colour you did in the second pic or just any colour brown, uve achieved this really well so I know you've said how but if possible could you explain how you got it from black to brown so fast? I cant afford anything too expensive either! Please help because I start 6th form on Monday! Xx
    piggypower's Avatar
    piggypower Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

#4

Jun 8, 2007, 09:46 AM
    When I had mine an "ash" brown, it had a greenish tint..

Then again, I did it from a box

And for the second person, your color might fade eventually!
    Dj5's Avatar
    Dj5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#5

Aug 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
    I need help also. I Have dark Brown Hair almost black so I bleached it Blonde and tried to dye it Ruby red. It is now almost Pink. I bought Revlon LIght Brown. If I try to dye it will it even take? Or will it stay red? I don't want to waste another box of dye or ruin my hair even more if it doesn't work and I have to re-dye it. Please help I have interviews next week I don't want punk rock pink hair Lol
    Dj5's Avatar
    Dj5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#6

Aug 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Dj5's Avatar
    Dj5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#7

Aug 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Dj5's Avatar
    Dj5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#8

Aug 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
    SexxiiBabyGurl's Avatar
    SexxiiBabyGurl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#9

Nov 27, 2009, 05:49 PM
    I had black hair to, best thing to do is bleach it than buy a lightner it works and buy a reli light brown and it come ou a nice ash brown I had it done bu when back dark I've had red,pink,black,purple whole lot in and it worked for me hun try it..
    tiffany2710's Avatar
    tiffany2710 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#10

Feb 10, 2010, 01:45 PM
    I dye my hair black cherry from wella on 12/31/2009 and the top looks red but the points are like a brown color. I can I make it like a brown color

Can I use a medium brown permanent hair dye over adark brown permanent hair dye? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I really need some advice about 3 weeks ago I dyed my hair dark brown permanent, my hair colour is naturally dark brown but now my hair is black and really making me look very hard and pale. Am I able to buy a permanent medium brown hair dye to lighten it up? I have read your site and see...

Can I dye my black hair brown? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair black with permanent dye for about five years. The last time I dyed it was four months ago, and now I want to dye it dark brown. Can I just dye over it or do I have to get rid of the black first?

Coloring hair ash brown turns red/orange [ 5 Answers ]

I've been coloring my hair at home for about a year with Ion brand hair color that I purchased from Sally's. The problem is that it colors slightly red/orange. I would like a cooler shade of brown. Does anyone know why this happens and how I correct it? I use medium ash brown with 20 developer. ...

Brown Hair Dye Turned Black [ 4 Answers ]

I Dyed My Teenage Daughters Hair Last Night. It Was Supposed To Be Dark Brown. Some Is Dark Brown, But Most Of It Looks Black. What Can I Do To Lighten It. She Left For School In Tears This Morning. She Thinks It Looks Gothic. Please Help.

How do I dye my jet black hair to a light brown color? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I dyed my hair dark brown but obviously it came out in this unnatural gothic black color. How do I color it back to something like ight or medium brown? Can I use semi permanent haircolor or something else? If so what color do you recommend I use? Thanks