Home repairs for seniors

Asked Mar 16, 2009, 04:12 AM 5 Answers
    My husband and I are both retired and on fixed income we own a home that needs repairs
    Like the deck and railings our home insurance is treating to cancel if repairs are not done.
    Is there such a thing as a grant for home repairs?

Last edited by talaniman; Jan 11, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,681, Reputation: 1647

#2

Mar 16, 2009, 04:18 AM
    Hi, josie123!

Around where I live, there are programs and monies available to seniors and people who need help with things like what you're describing. Some of the monies available might come from grant money that's made available for the programs.

Perhaps there might be similar things available where you are. To find out about them, I would suggest speaking with city officials. If you let us know your location, it's possible that someone here might know about specific programs where you're located.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,727, Reputation: 7217

#3

Mar 16, 2009, 04:32 AM

There is not a direct grant to you, but there are grants to variouis non profits who do help for low income or seniors. Check with various places, such as chamber of commerce, the BBB, also check with several local realitors and also the United Way
    josie123's Avatar
    josie123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

#4

Mar 16, 2009, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, josie123!

Thanks!
    Thanks for the information we live in Bothell,WA
    lilbay's Avatar
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

#5

Mar 22, 2009, 08:31 AM
    You may want to contact the County aging office in your area
    They usually will connect Seniors with the proper programs. Also check with a local Habitat for the Humanity in that area They also should be able to help.

In my area we have a program called Christmas in April where they choose a few houses that belong to seniors on minimal incomes and come in and do repairs.

This is for the local Senior Center for your city
    NORTHSHORE SENIOR CENTER
    10201 E RIVERSIDE DR
    BOTHELL WA 98011
    425/487-2441 (SNOHOMISH)

Also check about this program they may have more info on another that would fit or this may fit

Volunteer Chore Services

This volunteer program provides chore services to low-income elderly and disable persons. The program assists clients in avoiding unnecessary placement in nursing homes and other institutions by providing them with the services they need. The services help protect them from unsafe and unhealthy conditions. This is not an entitlement program. Eligibility is determined by an in-home assessment.

Services provided include up to two hours of assistance per week with chores like:

Meal Preparation
    Errands
    Transportation
    Housework
    Shopping
    Yard Work
    Moving Assistance
    Wood Provision
    For more information contact Catholic Community Services of Western Washington online or call (425) 257-2101.

Questions? Email Joyce Frasu or call (425) 388-7377

Also there is this site for your County Check under Resources or call and ask
    Senior Services of Snohomish County

Hope these are helpful
    asdmommy's Avatar
    asdmommy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

#6

Mar 22, 2009, 09:47 AM
    My mother has had work done on her house through a program called "Christmas in April." I don't know if that is a local program or if it is throughout the country but you could look it up. Also try your county extension service... dial 211... and ask them if there are any county programs to help you out.
    Good luck to you.

Home repairs [ 2 Answers ]

How long is a typical stair tread depth? >Moved from Forum Help<

Independent seniors and home care business [ 6 Answers ]

I have a business plan to help seniors stay independent and stay at home, but I need advise on how and where to go for this type of help? I need a dependable bigger vehicle and I need to know what it entails to get bonded and can I get any federal grant assistance or state? I have helped a few...

Home repairs [ 5 Answers ]

The hot water pressure in my bathroom wash basin has lost a lot of pressure. All the rest of the taps throughout the house are o.k. what could be the cause?