Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    electronish Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Pay Social Security?
    Pay: 57K/annum ( paid bi-weekly )

I have been working on CPT from June 07 to Dec 14 07; From Dec 15 07 I am on OPT, I told my employer Not to deduct my Social security and Medicare and they didn't for the period
    1 June to 31 dec. They agreed and didn't take it out.

Now they are applying my H1b and they started deducting my ss and med from Jan 08.

When Asked they said , as they are applying my H1B they have to deduct the ss and med tax. Is this true ?
    If I can't stop them from taking it out , is there a way I am going to get it back ? And Do I have to do in this tax season ( apr 15 2008 ) Or the next one ?

Thanks for any help !
    Also, If I go for professional filing of my taxes how much does it cost and will it make a difference..
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 03:25 PM
    You do NOT start taking out the SS and Medicare taxes while you apply for the H-1B visa. You only do so when the H-1B visa IS APPROVED.

If your employer will not listen, get them to put the refusal in writing. When you get the H-1B visa, you can then file Form 843 and get the improperly-withheld SS and Medicare taxes refunded by the IRS. Your employer will NOT get his half of the taxes back, though, but he had his chance to listen to reason and refused, so he is paying for being stubborn.

If you want a fee quote for my professional help, email me. I will not post my fees on an open forum.
    electronish Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Thank you very much.. I have emailed you on: [email protected]
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social security [ 1 Answers ]

I work and get social security How much money can I earn without losing my social security I always send my copies of my checks to them the amount vaires biweekly and it no more than 200.00

Social Security Refund [ 0 Answers ]

I am a foreign national and living in overseas. I was in USA from 1988 to 2001/2002 on F1 (student) and H1 (work visa) . I moved out of USA in 2001/2002. During that period I always worked and my previous employers withhold my Social Security and Medicare taxes. I understand that I can get the...

View more questions Search