Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melzy11 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
    nth Roots
    What is a simple way to understand this so I don't keep having this problem. :( when I am taking the nth root, the nth root of what? 12 or 24? And I am still unsure of where 16 came from. The original problem is 12 raised to the one fourth equals 24 which is why I thought it was 8, but I guess I need an explanation for nth roots. My next problem is 2x raised to the 1/3 + 5 = 7.1. I know that this is the cube root, but of what 2 or 5? I guess I am a little unsure of how to set these up or how to understand nth roots. I looked in my text, and it doesn't really explain it in a way that I can understand.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Here's one way to think of it: if A^(1/N) = B, then B^N = A.

For example, if , then , so X is 16. Does this help?

The other part of your question has to do with order of operation. Always do the exponents before multiplication (unless there are parentheses or brackets, which override). So, your original question was 12 times x raised to the 1/4, written out as:

must be thought of as:

jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jun 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
    This will help you understand nth roots:
    Mathwords: nth Root
    Mathwords: Radical Rules

As for your second quesiton it's the cubed root of 2x.
    ( 2x^(1/3) ) + 5 = 7.1

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nth term [ 2 Answers ]

nth term sequence is a1, a2,a3,a4 d stands for the common difference. The question is : Give the description of the 9th term. a(n)= ?

Complex numbers and nth roots [ 3 Answers ]

Using De Moivre's theorem and nth roots of complex numbers I need help putting z= the square root of 3 + I in trig form then finding the 5th roots of z and how to graph the roots. Can you answer this?

Roots [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what year the mini series "roots" first aired? Thks noboat

Roots [ 1 Answers ]

I have read answers about roots in sewer lines, and adding various chemicals that can help kill the roots. What about the field lines in a septic system, If chemicals are added into the line at the house, they will only "dump" into the septic. Will adding enough of this ever get into the...

De Moivre's Theorem and nth roots [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Junior in High School and would like to confirm the answer to this question: 2-3i/4+5i = the square root of 41? This is what I am coming up with, but am not sure I am doing it correctly. The directions are to simplify and write in the from a+bi. Thanks,

View more questions Search