Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerry craddock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2005, 08:48 AM
    Transplanting tree
    I just moved into a one year old home. The old owners planted a jap. Maple too close to the house. How deep would the root system be? And when is the best time of the year to transplant it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Don't worry about getting all the roots. Depending how big the tree is, going down a foot or 2 should be enough. It is more important to limit the root ball to what you can handle and not crack it. A good guide line is to go to a nursery and look at the balls on similar sized trees. Try to find real balled and burlapped trees. Many of the trees were shipped bare root and planted in potting soil in containers that may not really show how big the roots are. If you are not moving the tree very far or handling it much, you may not have to burlap it, but be very careful not to crack the root ball.

Commercial landscapers work most of the year. Still, fall is the best time of the year. Even then, it can be dry, and require water. Do not let the tree go into winter dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transplanting Iris Bulbs [ 2 Answers ]

I live in northwest Louisiana. When is the best time to transplant Iris? Should the tops be cut off before transplanting?

Transplanting trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Norway (Ithink) maple that is about four years old and about 15-20 ft. tall. I would like to move it about 50 feet. Can I? How

Ficus Tree [ 1 Answers ]

My ficus tree is weak and has lost the majority of its leaves. I'm trying to doctor it back to health. It is not over-watered, currently in indirect sunlight. It has no sappy discharge, mold, mites, etc. I have a perfectly healthy ficus but need advise on how to revive it back to health. ...

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

Mail a tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sentimental desire to plant a seedling from my grandmothers Norway Maple tree in my own back yard. Last summer I dug up five seedlings and drove 3 days and planted them. I think they would have done well except that the bunnies ate the leaves as fast as they could grow. I can't...

View more questions Search