Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freeze32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 09:50 AM
    tenant destruction
    I currently have a tenant who has given her notice she will be terminating her lease at the end of the month. When I did the interior inspection I was devastated... everything is damaged, she pulled up the carpets and linoleum, the floors are now bare, her 4 dogs chewed the bottoms of the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, there is no back door(the dogs scratched through it), she used a kerosene heater and there is black soot on the walls and ceilings, the screens to the windows have been ripped beyond repair. Because she only used the kerosene heater she allowed the pipes to freeze causing water leaks and damage. My husband said that property is beyond repair and is a loss. The tenant is a single woman who told us she had "A" dog, she has 4 dogs and 4 cats... We had no idea! It is a single wide mobile home that was in perfect condition. Our last tenant lived there for 7 years and left it clean and perfectly habitable and there were never any problems. Now this tenant has managed to destroy our first home and an important source of income. Is the tenant financially responsible for the value of the property?
    babiigirl1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by freeze32
    I currently have a tenant who has given her notice she will be terminating her lease at the end of the month. When I did the interior inspection I was devastated...everything is damaged, she pulled up the carpets and linoleum, the floors are now bare, her 4 dogs chewed the bottoms of the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, there is no back door(the dogs scratched through it), she used a kerosene heater and there is black soot on the walls and ceilings, the screens to the windows have been ripped beyond repair. Because she only used the kerosene heater she allowed the pipes to freeze causing water leaks and damage. My husband said that property is beyond repair and is a loss. The tenant is a single woman who told us she had "A" dog, she has 4 dogs and 4 cats....We had no idea! It is a single wide mobile home that was in perfect condition. Our last tenant lived there for 7 years and left it clean and perfectly habitable and there were never any problems. Now this tenant has managed to destroy our first home and an important source of income. Is the tenant financially responsible for the value of the property?
    Yes she is and should be responsible for all/any of the damamge she has done that was not there before if i was you i wuld take her to court and have her pay for all the damamgae she has done because otherwise she will try to excape it once she moves
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by freeze32
    Is the tenant financially responsible for the value of the property?
    Hello freeze:

She is responsible for the amount of damage she caused - not the entire property. However, the ultimate responsibility for being a successful landlord rests with YOU.

The problem you're going to face is she won't show up in court and you'll win a default judgment. Then you have to collect on it. People who do the kind of damage you're talking about don't have money in the bank, and don't have regular employment. All you'll wind up with is a piece of paper in your hands that says "judgment" on it.

If you're going to be successful in the landlord business, you need to WATCH your property like a hawk. You didn't. You counted on her good will. You were mistaken. It's going to cost you big-time.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope she has money. I hope you get some of it. But, I'm not wrong, am I?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant vs. Tenant Dispute [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I have recently had an issue arise with a neighbor a few doors down. She has called in noise complaints that are unfair and some that are just plain false. These complaints have caused us issues with our leasing office. If we continue to get these complaints from this neighbor we...

Tenant evicting another tenant [ 2 Answers ]

The Lease is in my name and my husband is listed as a tenant, how do I get him out? Will I have to evict him? If so, how do I go about this, there really isn't a lot of information on one tentant evicting another tenant. Please help.:confused:

Tenant [ 2 Answers ]

Does landlord have to actually give you 30 days for eviction or is it automatic?

Mass Rioting, Destruction of Churches and Bibles in Egypt [ 2 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://mychristianblood.blogspirit.com/arc...alexandria.html Mass Rioting, Destruction of Churches and Bibles in Egypt International Christian Union and The American Coptic Association

View more questions Search