Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janet Atkins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 04:24 PM
    My pine trees are killing everything.
    What is it about pine trees that nothing will grow under or around them? I have three kind of scraggily pine trees in the fron yard, and I want to plant other things. What can I use to replenish the soil so that I can have a garden out there? I live in zone 24 on the western garden map. (that is San Diego California.) So far the only thing that I have been successful in growing around the trees are succulents and catus. I don't own the property so cutting them down is not an option. I manage the building and keep up the outside. I love to garden. Will someone please tell me if I can grow anything out there PLEASE! Thank you in advance.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
    The only thing that will really flourish under those conditions are the succulents and cactus.

You could try adding soil and planting hostas. Take a look in your local garden supply store. They usually carry the plants that do well in your region. Speak to the owner/manager about your problem, and ask them what they recommend that will flourish in the shade of the pines.

Whenever I have a problem like that or want to find something out of the norm, that is what I always do. I go around to all the nurseries and see what they have. Every season they get in different items. Some years there can be a shortage or abundance of certain plants. I plant items so that I have flowers from spring through the fall. I just stop in once or twice a month starting in the springtime. You can create a very lovely effect of plants that flower in May, June, July,. if you do this. There are quite a variety of hostas out there with different flowers. The great thing about them is that they require very little attention.

We have a couple of people on this forum that are very knowledgeable about plants. I am sure they will stop by over the course of the next few days to give you their opinions as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pine Tree causes Grass Problems [ 8 Answers ]

My Neighbors Scotch Pine Tree is killing ME ! It has been hanging over my lawn and house since I moved in here 15 years ago. I get nothing but needles and cones all year round. I put 10 times as much lime in my lawn and nothing helps. It seems to have killed 2 Rhodadendrums and also a Pink...

Serbian pine [ 1 Answers ]

My Serbian pine, which was planted almost two years ago is losing it's pine needles (not cones). At present the top two feet are bare and one/two middles branches. I fertilized it this spring and have sprayed it twice with fungaside and diazon, as per instruction of the landscaper that planted...

Pine Furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I have some bedroom pine furniture which I wish to paint. Which paint is best to use?

Pine furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I have pine dressers. I got a new lamp and I see that there are brown circles from the felt bottom on my dresser. Help, How can I remove these?

Pine needles [ 1 Answers ]

I have clumps of pine needles and pine cones that fell from a red pine tree Covering the ground. The clumps look like they were chopped off the tree. There is only 2 pine trees that this is happening to. There is a lot of clumps Covering the ground. It looks like someone covered the grass...

View more questions Search