Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PSavage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Cleaning silk flowers
    How do you clean silk flowers with something you make at home? I have purchased the products commercially but would prefer to make something at home. Spraying water on them does not clean them or make them shine... thanks.
    P
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Cleaning Silk Plants - from the website "Dollar Stretcher"

Salt Shaker

What I have found to work the best for cleaning silk plants is to put about one cup of table salt in a large grocery paper bag. Put your silk plant inside the paper bag, roll the top down a couple of times and then shake the bag. The salt will remove the dust from the leaves of the plants. Just shake the plant a little as you take it out of the paper bag to make sure all the salt is off the silk plant. You can then store the salt in the paper bag for future use of cleaning silk plants.
    Sue D.

Cool Water Wash

First, fill one side of your sink with cool water. (Cool water will not damage the glue that is holding the piece to the stem and leaf supports. You can use tepid water, but it can not be hot. The glue will melt and the product will eventually fall apart.)

Add about a teaspoon of lemon dish detergent. (Lemon dish detergent contains a small amount of bleach and is safe for all silk products. Also the lemon will help in dissolving grease and heavy dust.)

Remove your silk product from its container. (If you are cleaning a floral arrangement, remove and clean one stem at a time. Replace the stem you have cleaned before removing the next one. You will be able to keep the arrangement intact without having it re-designed.)

Swish the silk product in the water. If the dirt is heavy, you may need to wipe it some while it is under the water. Be careful that you do not damage the underside of the leaves. These are only glued together and can come apart. Also be careful that you do not scrub leaves or flowers. This will fray the ends of the material, leaving your silk products looking old and tattered.

Once the silk product is clean, place it on a hand towel or paper towel and blot dry. Do not rub it. This will also fray the ends of the material. It does not have to be completely dry to replace it to its container. It will air dry within a few minutes.
    Amy

Vacuum the Dust Away

When I was younger, I would watch my mother use watered down mayonnaise to wash off the leaves of her real plants. It gave them a very shiny leaf. As far as I know, with silk plants, you can vacuum them. You can find a mini vacuum cleaner head for most vacuums that will fit on the end of the hose. It has a little brush on it, so that you are brushing the dust loose as it suctions the dust away.
    Beck

First Test for Colorfastness

Simply mix a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. If the silk flowers are very expensive, test for colorfastness in an inconspicuous area of the flower before spritzing liberally.

Also, for simple dusting, clean with a hair dryer set on high fan, cool air. Or simply slip a length of panty hose over your vacuum nozzle and vacuum the flowers.

For silk flowers that are not colorfast, try this. Place cornmeal in a brown bag or plastic bag, and place the flower into the bag. Shake gently to remove caked on dust and dirt. This will not remove any stains, however.
    C. in Alabama

Cheap Hair Spray Does the Job

The easiest and cheapest way that I have found to clean silk flowers is cheap hair spray. Buy the least expensive kind you can find (make sure it is aerosol) and just spray directly on the "plants." Make sure to do it outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. It works like a charm! The dust disappears and the plants look brand new.
    Jan J.

Shower Time

My solution is actually for cleaning "real" houseplants. I wait until it's time to water my plants and then I just stick them in the shower and "hose" them off. This way, they get clean and watered at the same time. Also, if you put the plug in the tub, you can use the water for something else like cleaning the tub.
    Becky T.
    Wisconsin

Put Your Dryer to Work

For large arrangements, I use a dryer sheet to wipe down petals and leaves. I can re-use the sheets in my dryer later.

If you don't mind remaking your arrangement, you can place silk flower and plant stems in the dryer with a dryer sheet. Be sure to put the dryer on a cool or delicate cycle and only run it for about one minute to prevent damage to the silks. If the dust isn't completely gone, let your silks stand for a few minutes to make sure they are cooled completely and run the dryer again for another minute or less. I do this about once a month.
    Tamara T.
    Texas

Cleans Like a Dream!

The very best solution is rubbing alcohol. Mix it 50/50 with water and spray until the dust starts to run off the plants. It will dry quickly and cleans like a dream. I have used this for may years. It works well for dried flowers as well.
    A

Do you have a time or money saving idea that wasn't included in this article? Please send it to [email protected]. We get the best ideas from our readers!
    johnhinckel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 02:35 AM
    Pour about a cup of salt into the brown paper bag.

Remove the dusty plant from the container and place it inside the bag.

Roll the top of the bag down a few times to close.

Shake the bag as vigorously as your plant can handle. The salt will remove the dust from the leaves and petals, leaving you with a beautiful plant.

Open the bag and shake the plant to remove any remaining salt.

The salt and bag can be stored and used over and over

Silk Flower Arrangements

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acrylic vs. Silk nails [ 9 Answers ]

I am considering fake nails, but know nothing about them. What is the difference between acrylic, silk or gell set? Do they damage real nails? Which is the least damaging? I want a french manicure and understand that certain types of artificial nails have the polish in/on them and do not chip. ...

Buy Your Own Flowers [ 17 Answers ]

When I was still married, and when my kids were still at home, I could always count on getting some flowers. But now, divorced and with kids grown and flown, I miss them all of course, but I also missed receiving flowers. Then it came to me, I could go buy myself some flowers. It was an amazing...

Silk vs Acrylic nails [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best type of nails (Silk vs Acrylic)?

Product to keep dogs out of flowers? [ 14 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is a reliable product to put in my flower beds to keep animals out, specifically dogs? Thanks for any info Kae

View more questions Search