Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andbar042 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 11:53 PM
    Red maple tree roots above ground
    I have 2 red maple trees that are about 30 ft. high. One in the back yard has roots exposed that I have tried to fix by adding light layer of topsoil and seed to raise the level of ground ( shade has pretty much killed out previous grass).
    The roots have now grown above that attempt and has caused unrepairable damage to a couple mowers from helpers doing lawn work for me. The front tree causes me to have roto-rooter here every 2 years to cut out roots from sewer line plus the roots have been getting higher there also. Can I just cut out the roots that are exposed without killing tree or would removal be my best option.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Maple trees are notorious for root issues. The simplest solution is to put mulch under them and forget grass and chop off roots outside the drip line. As to roots in the sewer lines, you must have openings that the roots get in. Only sure solution is removal but I hate to see trees that big cut down just so grass can grow.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2013, 06:16 AM
    Most people plant ground cover (pachysandra, vinca, etc) out to the drip line.
    Replace old drain pipes with new materials that roots can't get in. You have to do it now anyway, so save the trees.
    You can't cut more than 1 or 2 roots without knowing what you are doing. Roots don't just drink water, they keep the tree from falling over in the wind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red maple roots above ground [ 1 Answers ]

Red Maple 50 yrs old 30 ft tall 24 dia, 20 feet from basement, above ground roots. One root 6 in dia heading towards basement. Is it OK if I cut off this root about 6 feet from the tree. There are other large roots radiating outwards? Thanks

Maple tree roots above ground [ 0 Answers ]

I have what I think is about a 35 foot red maple tree (green leaves in summer and red when season change in fall) in my front yard. Some of the root system is on the surface and within 3' of our house. I'm afraid of the root system damaging the foundation wall and would like to remove some of them...

Maple tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

With Maple roots on the surface of the ground, can I put new top soil over that area to bury them, or will they come back up to the surface.

Protruding sugar maple tree roots above ground [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very old Sugar Maple tree in my front yard that has roots that have surfaced above the ground. I have to have someone out yearly to roto-root my sewer sysems due to tree roots. This is the only tree in the front yard. My problem is: when I move I hit these above ground roots. They are...

Maple tree roots. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I purchased a 1922 Colonial on Long Island and in the front yard, about 20 feet from the house, is a grand old maple tree. It is between the sidewalk and the curb and is tearing up part of my sidewalk and curb. I really don't want to take the tree down and I'd rather have a contractor come...

View more questions Search