Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WriterGirl_15 Posts: 79, Reputation: -3

Jan 16, 2013, 08:00 AM
    I have no gardening experience, little space and money; where to start?
    I'm a teenager and a complete gardening newbie. I've had one or two potted plants, ever. I want to start a small garden. I don't have much space to work with, and I have no idea whether I should grow herbs, vegetables, flowers... can anyone give me some advice on a good starting point?

I only have a little money from my birthday and I don't want to end up quitting because I made poor choices in what plants to start with or when to plant - stuff that experienced gardeners would know.

I'd probably want a container garden.

I live in middle Georgia, so the weather's not really warm or cool right now even though it's winter.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2013, 08:18 AM
    Sounds like a fun hobby to start. There are a ton of things available online such as:

24 Tips For Beginning Gardeners - Garden Plants and Gardening Forum - The Grow Spot

Just Google "Beginning Gardening" or something like that. There is probably stuff on YouTube as well.

Do you like flowers? Do you cook? Does your mom cook and would she appreciate an herb garden?
    WriterGirl_15 Posts: 79, Reputation: -3

Jan 16, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Thanks Oliver! This link looks like an awesome help.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
    We live in Woodstock, just above Atlanta. You are in a different USDA zone and need plants that will tolerate heat. I would suggest containers. No cool weather crops now, too late. You can plant radishes, snap peas and some herbs like rosemary. In the summer, peppers, grape tomatoes egg plañt all tolerate heat and containers but avoid intense afternoon sun. Check with your county extension service. Our daughter lives in Perry.
    548susie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2013, 09:27 PM
    Start small and have fun. You could put a tomato in a pot and add flowers in front. You'd need a trellis for it to climb. As you get more confident you can add more containers. Go to garden club plant sales and ask the ladies for advice--they sell plants cheap there, too. Good luck and have fun!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2013, 11:30 PM
    I did tomato plants in pots for years in Atlanta GA. did some herbs in the kitchen window and flowers in the front. All work good in GA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gardening questions [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyone else doing lasagna gardening?

Experience? Does my previous work count as actual bookkeeping experience? [ 10 Answers ]

I have done work that required , I kept all records for a friends pharmacy delivery company mileage, orders,submitting this info for payment from company's and reconciling company's statements with her stubs to make sure she was paid correctly for all work she did. Also did similar work for a...

No money down for information on free money for felons trying to start a business [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to start my own cleaning business and I do mnot have a credit card and I do not have any money to spare to pay for sites that ask for money for there services, I would like help with finding assistance in helping me acquire information on grants or loans that will help me, I am a...

Have no water or money, need to fix leak under house in crawl space [ 1 Answers ]

Sprung a leak.. old grey pvcp pipes.. at 2 tees... ok cut back the pipe... cutnew pex pipe to replace.. tried compression fittings.. didn't work... tried to crimp and it leaked at 2 of the crimps.. where the grey pipe was. Problem is both leak are off the tee... OK I cut onr off tried to add...

Law student needs work experience (don't know where to start) [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an undergraduate Law student and I have just completed my second year (of a 3 year course) I have finished university for the summer and I have until September. I was just wondering if anyone knows, or could point me in the right direction. I am looking for any work experience I can do in the...

View more questions Search