Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake448 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

May 5, 2011, 05:15 PM
    Going to hang out with a married girl as friends OK?
    I met this girl who is from the same country as me at a bar, along with her new husband. We were very excited to meet each other and to get a chance to speak our home language, so she told me to write down her phone number and call her. That happened in front of her husband with him watching. We were not speaking english, but I tried to switch back and forth. Her husband is more than twice her age and I know she is with him for a couple years just to get her citizenship, but that's not the point. I have no intentions of doing anything with her, but I would enjoy hanging out with her and perhaps getting to meet some of her friends who are also from my home country. Do you think it is appropriate to get in touch with her as friends even though she is married or is this a bad idea?
    EmbracingPose Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

May 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
    I personally wouldn't feel comfortable hanging out with her by herself (just the two of you). You can call her, but tell her you're looking to meet additional people from your home country... maybe she will point you into the right direction
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

May 12, 2011, 07:25 AM

How do you know she's only with her husband to get her citizenship?

If that's the case,I'd say she's not a particularly nice person.

I wouldn't go for a friendship with a married person who may be in the habit of using people.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2011, 07:25 AM

I am married. I have married male friends. Occasionally we go out to dinner, go to business events together. My husband knows. Their wives know.

I don't see a problem IF that is all it is, a friendship.

My concern is that perhaps you are not being totally honest with yourself. Why does the reason she is married to her husband matter if you have no interest in her? If she told you she married him to become a citizen I would turn and run the other way - there is no need for you to know this if you are going to be "just friends," particularly at the first meeting.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

May 12, 2011, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake448 View Post
    Her husband is more than twice her age and I know she is with him for a couple years just to get her citizenship, but thats not the point.
    Busted!

Had this part been left out, I'd have advised to be very careful and respectful of her husband if calling, meeting, etc with her. Since her husband was present and did not object to the exchange and talk, than he would seem to be smart enough to realize that if he allows his wife to give her number out he'd quickly concluded someone may indeed call it.

However, as others have poitend out, this 'fact sheet' you've provided to the forum is quite concerning and revealing. The guise of friends is shattered when you reveal intimate facts about the relationship. If it were indeed a freindship, why would she even mention it? Why would you even care?

Let's say BMI is on an elevator with a friend who he realizes is a friend and has no attraction to her, she tells BMI that she had a fight with her nasty husband and says she needs a drink after work, want to come? BMI's head either tells him two things should he accept A. Poor friend, a drink would be great and I'm all too pleased to support her OR B. Wonder if there is a crack in the armour in which BMI can widdle his way into.

Your story suggests B. Not even mentioning that the lovely co-worker mentioned in my lovely story is portrayed as a sad figure, NOT someone who you describe as being a manipulative con-artist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do you allow your 14yrs old girl hang out with her friends at the mall? [ 11 Answers ]

I just don't understand teenage nowadays. My step daughter told my hubby that her friends hang out at the mall every other 2 weeks and she want to hang out with them. She said one of the friends' mom will be there with them. My hubby just dropped her off at the mall. She doesn't want her dad to be...

Is it normal for a girl to have more guy friends than girl friends? [ 5 Answers ]

She always says, 'Why don't you trust me?'. I tell her I do, but my paranoia always kicks in. She's been living with me for well over 3 years, and if I tell her not to talk to someone, she normally doesn't. Now she's left me, and told me she loves me, she just can't live with me. She needs space,...

Is it OK for my boyfriend to hang out with his female friends? [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend likes to hang out with his female friends and I don't like that. I myself have stopped hanging out with my male friends. I haven't mentioned to him that it makes me uncomfortable when he goes out with his female friends. In my point of view it is not healthy because through time his...

Why does my boyfriend like to hang with female friends without me? [ 11 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for 9 months now. I am 24 and he is 25. I met him online on a dating site and things have been great. The only problem I seem to have is every so often he wants to hang out with a female friend or so and tells me if he goes he's going alone. This has yet to...

My girl of 3 months is not over her ex.should I hang around [ 10 Answers ]

This girl and I have been together 3 months, exclusively, but she can't be my girlfriend etc she reckons even though we do EVERYTHING a couple does and act like that in public as well. Told me she is not over her ex, he dumped her and now he wants her back after 6 months. She said that the only...

View more questions Search