Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Jul 20, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Can't see the flowers for the leaves,
    I've tried growing Nasturtiums in every garden I've had, I follow the advice... plant in poor soil, don't feed them etc, and although the plants are healthy I always have loads of green leaves, and plenty of flowers... but you can't see them for the huge leaves. Please can someone tell me where I'm going wrong,
    Thank you:)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Neelie, you aren't doing anything wrong, but where do you get the idea they have to be planted in poor soil and don't feed them?

I plant nasturtiums every year, at least twice a summer, get huge leaves because I plant them in compost (not exactly poor soil!) and you sort of have to put up with the flowers poking out from underneath all those leaves but if you plant them right, then you have plenty of flowers.

I just love this plant, the colour combinations the beauty of both flower and leaf. And the flowers are edible, lovely to dress up a garden salad for guests.
    plantnut3380 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Totally agree with Tickle. And, if you do decide to fertilize your nasturtiums, make sure to use a "flowering plant" fertilizer. The numbers are typically the same such as 10-10-10. Don't use a high nitrogen fertilizer like you'd put on your lawn (first number is usually higher than the rest such as 24-2-8) for fast growth and you'll end up with more green than blossoms.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 02:45 AM
    Nasturtiums are really great in planters to. Quite showy !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do boys like flowers? [ 5 Answers ]

What do guys like for Valentines day? My boyfriend always surprizes me and I want to do it this time and knock him off his feet any ideas?

Buy Your Own Flowers [ 17 Answers ]

When I was still married, and when my kids were still at home, I could always count on getting some flowers. But now, divorced and with kids grown and flown, I miss them all of course, but I also missed receiving flowers. Then it came to me, I could go buy myself some flowers. It was an amazing...

Drying Flowers [ 4 Answers ]

HI there, I know how to dry roses... I got a bouquet of roses, unknown flower, and baby's breath... I was wondering if the drying of this bouquet would be the same method. Or if there is something special that I have to do... :D Thanks in advance for your help;)

View more questions Search