Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horacionyc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2005, 01:10 PM
    Mysterious Toilet Overflow
    Hi! Great website you have here.

I live in a two-year old apartment building on the ground floor. We have a duplex with a washing machine on the second floor and a bathroom on each floor.

The downstairs bathroom toilet is not used regularly. However, on several occasions, we have found that the toilet has overflowed despite non-usage. The toilet gurgles occasionally and soot-like material seeps into the bowl. Once, I noticed that several minutes after doing laundry in the upstairs washing machine, detergent foam was flowing into the downstairs toilet bowl.

Any suggestions? My super suggested Drano, but I understand that it doesn't work well with toilets. Also, since this is not a full clog, I am not sure if Drano is the right solution.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 9, 2005, 01:50 PM
    Mysterious Toilet Overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by horacionyc
    Hi! Great website you have here.

I live in a two-year old apartment building on the ground floor. We have a duplex with a washing machine on the second floor and a bathroom on each floor.

The downstairs bathroom toilet is not used regularly. However, on several occasions, we have found that the toilet has overflowed despite non-usage. The toilet gurgles occasionally and soot-like material seeps into the bowl. Once, I noticed that several minutes after doing laundry in the upstairs washing machine, detergent foam was flowing into the downstairs toilet bowl.

Any suggestions? My super suggested Drano, but I understand that it doesn't work well with toilets. Also, since this is not a full clog, I am not sure if Drano is the right solution.

No mystery here. What you have is a partial clog downstream from the downstairs bathroom. I am no fan of dumping harsh chemicals down your drainage system. Most don't work anyhow. The only way to be sure a clog is cleared out is to snake out the line. Let me take the mystery away.
    Your washer pump discharges with much force and volume. The discharge goes down a floor and hits the clog, bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it, (your "gurgle") and a back up of dirty water, (your suds) and then because it's not a full stoppage it will drain away. Your toilet backs up when you're not using any thing because the other unit's on the same line.
    The answer is to snake out the line from the washer vent on the roof.
    (Unless you have cleanouts on the first floor.) A partial clog can only get worse, they don't get better or stay the same. If this is a condo the problem's in a "common area" that's shared by all units and cost should be shared by the association. If not then the other unit should share the cost with you. Just because the water comes up in your unit doesn't mean they do not have any responsibility. Good luck, Tom
    horacionyc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2005, 04:13 PM
    Thank you
    Thanks, Tom. I will look into it. Very much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Air bubbles coming from toilet... overflow on flush, occasionally empties and... [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a modern condomiunim. My unit is next to the laundry room (wondering if that's relevant due to the washers). Occasionally, the toilet gets air bubbles for about a minute. If I try to flush during this period, the toilet just overflows and the water doesn't empty. I tried using a...

Mysterious bites? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and am hoping someone can help me out. Basically, for about the past three months, about every three weeks or so I wake up with bites on my lower legs - although I have had them as high as my hip and lower back. They are so itchy, and are quite big and go really...

Mysterious Hump in yard [ 5 Answers ]

Any ideas what this may be? It just showed up. I suspect water is the culprit we just had some hard rains, but I've never seen this before

Toilet overflow does not back up into tub [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet overflowed the other day and did much damage to a wood floor. The bath tub and shower pan were both dry. I would have thought that the overflow would have run into the tub or shower pan. Why wouldn't that have occurred. The shower, tub and toilet all drain into a single pipe and then...

Shower drain causing Toilet overflow [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing the commode in my bathroom, the old commode is removed and that leaves the toilet hole exposed, for the time being. During this time, water in the shower is turned on. The shower is about 4 feet away from the toilet. About 15 minutes later, water starts seeping...

View more questions Search