Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FoxCash Posts: 160, Reputation: 125

Aug 16, 2010, 09:28 AM
    GED holder wants to go to College
    About 10 years ago I dropped out of school, my senior year with about 3 months till my class was to graduate, and obtained my GED.

For a while I said I would go back to school and fiddled around with various ideas of what I want to study. It wasn't until the last 5 years that I really discovered what direction I want to go. Now, I know without a doubt. I just don't know how to get that ball rolling.

I have a job right now that doesn't pay great and I would love to move up in but after a recent injury I discovered that if I were to get injured again and more seriously I cannot work in this field. I need a back up plan.

I want to work in Human Services/Social Services. More specifically, I want to be a Therapeutic Staff Support Worker (TSS Worker). From my research a 4 year degree in Human Services is needed. I am looking to sign up for January 2011 classes with a community college. I'm aware that due to my past grades and current knowledge that most of my time in the beginning spent at the community college is going to be remedial classes working on areas that I just fail at.

My known weakness are math, any kind of math I was always horrible at. English is another thing. My grammar is horrible even though I am trying. (Are there any free programs online that will help me perfect my grammar?) Aside from those two subjects I did pretty well in school and still do good with.

I'm worried that I am not ready right now to take the placement test and will take it and not be accepted for the community college. I don't know how to prepare myself before I take that test and give myself better chances of getting accepted.

Another concern of mine is paying for schooling. My income right now is pathetic, despite working two jobs. Being able to pay for schooling right now doesn't seem possible but at the same time I cannot continue down on this path of getting no where. I have heard of people going to school and not having to pay back the money the loan until after they graduate. Is this an option only open to people with superb credit? Are these safe options?

All in all, I'm unsure of how to get my goal to become a reality and actually begin working at it. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I know the road ahead of me isn't going to be easy and a 4 year degree is going to take longer than 4 years to obtain but I am ready and I need to do this. I made a mistake with how I did in high school and dropping out and this is where my mistake needs to stop ruling my life.

Sorry for the length, but thank you for anything someone can provide.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 10:05 AM

Some of this I know and some of this I don't. A friend of mine dropped out of high school, got her GED, went to a community college which transferred her first two years of credits to a four-year college, completed her degree and is now a social worker. She took out student loans and did get some grants as an older student.

I don't know why you think you aren't good at grammar - your posts are VERY well written and well punctuated, easy to read. Read what some other people post and you'll appreciate your own talents!
    FoxCash Posts: 160, Reputation: 125

Aug 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Some of this I know and some of this I don't. A friend of mine dropped out of high school, got her GED, went to a community college which transferred her first two years of credits to a four-year college, completed her degree and is now a social worker. She took out student loans and did get some grants as an older student.

I don't know why you think you aren't good at grammar - your posts are VERY well written and well punctuated, easy to read. Read what some other people post and you'll appreciate your own talents!
    Thank you for posting this. It gives me a lot more hope now knowing that someone else in a similar position has achieved what I wish to achieve.

I have a meeting set up with the community college I hope to attend and hopefully they can point me in the steps I need to make it there.

As for my grammar, I was told a few years ago that it was just horrible and no one would take me seriously with the way that it was. It's something that has always stuck with me and since I've been trying to clean it up and get it to where it should be. Commas seem to always be my sticking point. I either add too many, not enough, or put them where they don't belong.

So I appreciate what you said about my grammar. It gives me more hope to know that I can do this.

Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 11:37 AM

You may enjoy this because it has something to do with someone correcting your grammar. When I was in college (and I was an English major) I referred to something or other being on the ninth floor. I got the paper back with "ninth" circled in red, "nineth" written in and a note that as an English major I should know better.

Well, I was right and the professor was wrong but every time I see that word I second guess myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A B1 visa holder marrying a green card holder in us [ 6 Answers ]

I already had a B1 visa... after that I got married in pakistan when my husband came frm us... then I fly to us as a tourist.. n got the court marriage done here in us... so how can I stay with my husband... in us should I change the status of my visa... or my husband could apply for a spouse...

MCA degree holder can teach in polytechnic college [ 1 Answers ]

MCA degree holder can teach in polytechnic college in india

View more questions Search