Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Bachelor's degree - do I have a title?
    I graduated from a prestigious university with a Bachelor's in government. My concentration was in political theory.

Does this give me any kind of a title?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    i graduated from a prestigious university with a Bachelor's in government. my concentration was in political theory.

does this give me any kind of a title?

I don't know what you mean by a title - ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Graduated with a degree in government and political theory, around here we normally call this unemployed. But no there is no title that goes with that.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    graduated with a degree in government and political theory, around here we normally call this unemployed. but no there is no title that goes with that.

Wouldn't you think if you graduated with a title the university would let you know about it?

("What do Political Science majors say on the job? Do you want that supersized - ?" Not a slam on anybody - those majors include my nephew.)
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Nice one, chuck. Actually, I own and run an international design company based in florence, italy. I found the art world because of my fascination with political propaganda. My original goal was to get a Ph.D. in politcal theory. At this point, my work is too successful for me to leave it. I said that I graduated from college. Does graduating from college mean unemployed to you?

Obviously someone with a Ph.D. in political theory who is working a related job would be considered a political theorist. I believe this holds even if that person becomes an artist. I have a black belt in tae kwon do. I no longer practice martial arts, but I am still a black belt.

If someone graduates from college having majored in chemistry, does that make him a chemist? If so, would I be considered a political theorist? If not, is there another way of saying where my expertise lies without having to explain every time that I graduated from college as a government major with a track in political theory? I also took graduate classes in the field.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Cute, judy. :)

I don't think your nephew has too much to worry about. There are a lot of opportunities for political science majors. Washington d.c. is full of them, and there are opportunities in every state working for politicians. An enormous amount go to law school. Some become professors. Many write books. And I was told by my dean that I had a lot of options working for corporations and investment firms. He'll be fine.

I've always heard those types of jokes thrown at philosophy students (like "you can't eat a philosophy sandwich, son"). Personally, I would be crushed if people stopped studying philosophy. The english majors get the same bad deal, but there are a lot of employed writers and critics out there. Anyone with their head in the right place can make a success of themselves.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Sorry, around the US, a BS degree is needed to almost work at some fast food places.

But no I guess one could put BS or BA after their name but I have never seen it done.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Chuck,

Obviously I know about the abbreviation for a bachelor's degree. Please re-read my question!

In italy, all college graduates are called "doctor." another form of "doctor" is used for people in possession of a Ph.D. medical doctors are called "doctor" or "medico."

I'm originally from the u.s. and that's where I completed my undergraduate degree. I challenge you to go to your local fast-food joint to poll how many people who work there completed college. More than that, I would love to know if any of those graduates studied in the ivy league. I understand that the prevalence of college graduates makes for a more competitive market, but I don't see how you're putting two and two together. What does anything you said have to do with answering my questions? Maybe you were trying to be helpful, but it's certainly not coming off that way.

What makes you a christianity expert? I don't think jesus would post so obnoxiously.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 09:18 AM
    cute, judy. :)

i don't think your nephew has too much to worry about. there are a lot of opportunities for political science majors. washington d.c. is full of them, and there are opportunities in every state working for politicians. an enormous amount go to law school. some become professors. many write books. and i was told by my dean that i had a lot of options working for corporations and investment firms. he'll be fine.

i've always heard those types of jokes thrown at philosophy students (like "you can't eat a philosophy sandwich, son"). personally, i would be crushed if people stopped studying philosophy. the english majors get the same bad deal, but there are a lot of employed writers and critics out there. anyone with their head in the right place can make a success of themselves.

Right - but without a graduate degree his undergrad degree is worth little. Can't become a professor without a Doctorate.

I know all about English majors - I was one. I got no "title" with my degree and so I must explain, if asked, what the degree is in. I will say that not a lot of people ask me.

I realize you are a US resident, living in Italy - but at the moment law schools are looking for other degrees, other backgrounds, because they are in a position to pick. I recently saw a top of the class undergrad turned down for a middle of the pack graduate with a degree in drama. Go figure. (Thin line between acting and practicing law, anyway, but that's just my opinion.)

My husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy but never used his title anywhere except for posting it at the workplace (required by law). I think it depends on the profession and the person.

What does your University say about a title?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 09:42 AM
    i graduated from a prestigious university with a Bachelor's in government. my concentration was in political theory.

does this give me any kind of a title?
    Probably not, but I guess you can call yourself a "Political Theorist" if you want to. Why do you care?
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 10:46 AM
    thanks for your posts! I won't say that anyone has asked me anything about my major since college, especially since I am an entrepreneur. My resume doesn't serve a purpose at this time in my life. Still, it's a question that has been sitting in the back of my mind for years. I most certainly would not want to call myself a political theorist if I am not entitled to it. But if I am, I would like to know. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

I attended a large university, and no one talked about what a bachelor's means in terms of these things. I can't imagine I'm the only one who wonders about this question. If a title does not exist, I think it should. I think something defining should come out of that hard work other than an abbreviation that, like chuck said, no one uses anywhere.

I understand the value of a graduate education. My parents have 3 master's degrees and a Ph.D. - each. I grew up without a doubt in my mind that I would earn a Ph.D. but as I explained in an earlier post, I am too busy with my career. I'm only 28. I can still do it. But why would I leave my money to (maybe) make money one day? I know that none of our clients has ever asked about my scholastic background, and there is no such thing as a Ph.D. in visual arts. I would be extremely happy as an architect, a professor, a designer... but I am a working designer! I will tell you (and I'm sure you already know this) that being in possession of a Ph.D. does not guarantee you cash in hand. I have an English friend here with a Ph.D. in chemistry. He quit his job as a chemistry professor to work as a bartender in an Irish pub because it pays more.

it's true that one has to attend graduate school to become a professor, or law school to become a lawyer and so on. But your nephew has to start somewhere, and I doubt that most of his competition is coming out of america's drama departments. I studied political theory because it was my passion, which I saw as philosophy applied to a specific problem. Graduate schools are attracted to diverse liberal arts backgrounds.

anyway, political theory is not a field that requires licensing to practice. I would love to know if anyone has a definite answer to this little mystery.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 10:51 AM
    it's true that one has to attend graduate school to become a professor, or law school to become a lawyer and so on. but your nephew has to start somewhere, and i doubt that most of his competition is coming out of america's drama departments. i studied political theory because it was my passion, which i saw as philosophy applied to a specific problem. graduate schools are attracted to diverse liberal arts backgrounds. anyway, political theory is not a field that requires licensing to practice. i would love to know if anyone has a definite answer to this little mystery.

Trust me, I don't know about your major but I do know about undergrad degrees and getting into law school.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 12:41 PM
    What would you recommend for a future undergrad?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 12:51 PM
    I have a bachelor's and a master's. Once I began using them with the proper certifications, I had "titles"--teacher and counselor. Without the certifications, the degrees might have gotten me a job at a company or non-profit, at which place I would have gotten a workplace title. For instance, I am Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator plus Senior Cataloger at a public library, but neither degree gives me those titles.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 12:54 PM
    what would you recommend for a future undergrad?

As far as getting into law school? At the moment anything outside the usual. Also depends on the law school. Some schools actually will provide you with student percentages concerning undergrad degrees.

I was an English major and had no trouble being accepted - but I would now. Also know a biology major who had no problems being accepted. Probably something in the fine arts category wouldn't go very far.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 01:24 PM
    What about "John Doe, BAS" or "John Doe, BS"
    Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Science.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
    I mean more like "political theorist" or something. Not the abbreviation. Let's say something that could technically work in a byline. It explicitly covers what I studied.

Judy, I have tried to understand the last part of your post, but it can be read in a couple of ways. What did you mean by "Probably something in the fine arts category wouldn't go very far."?
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:54 PM
    i mean more like "political theorist" or something. not the abbreviation. let's say something that could technically work in a byline. it explicitly covers what i studied.

judy, i have tried to understand the last part of your post, but it can be read in a couple of ways. what did you mean by "Probably something in the fine arts category wouldn't go very far."?

Fine Arts majors are not going to find it easy to get into Law School.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 02:57 PM
    You can give yourself any title you want. Since 1985, I've helped people job hunt and have also helped with workplace problems, so have called myself a job coach. No one ever challenged me. If you are a political theorist, call yourself that. If you can talk the talk and walk the walk, you are a political theorist.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 03:23 PM
    I still don't understand why you care about a title.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another Bachelor's Degree-Change of Career [ 5 Answers ]

Can you get TWO Bachelor's degrees? If so, do you have to do your General Ed again? How does that work? I have a Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, and I work for a nonprofit, but I want to do more and become a Child Advocate or Social Worker. I assume I need to go back to school and get...

To finish the uncompleted Bachelor's course ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I want someone's help in determining appropriate solution to the problem which my brother is undergoing.He registered himself for a Bachelor's course in the year 1998.He did his first year ,started to fail in some of the subjects in 2nd year and did not go to the college at all in the...

Which Degree [ 7 Answers ]

I will be graduating soon and was wondering what college degree to get that will enable you to have a job with at least 60,000 to 80,000 dollars a year. Maybe in the Technical or Engineering field? I wanted to get a Bachelors degree then a masters later on but you probably have to go 8 years if...

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

Two bachelor's degrees [ 4 Answers ]

Let's say I got a degree in one field (business) and after I got that degree I decided that I wanted to get into the sciences so I applied for a bachelor's degree in science. What basis would university's usually use to determine if you get accepted? (i.e. do they use high school prerequisite...

View more questions Search