Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Feb 28, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Oh how the tables have been turned.What do I do?
    Well its been around 7 months to a year since I saw my old cat princess... The other day when my mom was in town, she saw the lady who used to live across the road from us(renting a house) and asked her if they took my cat. She said yes. This really shocked my mom, as they knew she was ours and had asked my mom if they could take her, and my mom said no.

But, they took it upon themselves, and stole my cat. When my mom came home that day, she told me that they had my cat and at first I felt a sense of relief(after all those months of thinking she had been hit by a car), then I felt angry. Angry that they felt they could just take my cat from me after my mom had told them not to.

When I got home from school yesterday, rex greeted me with the normal WOOWOO husky hello. I went to take him in but my mom told me to leave him out a while longer because he would track on the floors. This struck me as odd, owning a husky, our florrs aren't the cleanest. I walked in and who was there but my old kitty princess, I knelt down and petted her, and she was the same as I rembered.

She was also still scared to death of dogs, and all yesterday she kept hissing at him. He was being surprisingly gentle, and didn't go after her, but only stayed by my side, and when I asked him to he would give her some space. But just a few minutes ago I was petting them both, and she hissed and went to claw him, I managed to block her paw and she got me, but it really shook rex up. He right now is laying in my room, and now he is the one who is scared of her.

I don't blame the cat, I feel really bad for her because she obviously had a really bad experience with dogs(she was scared of my brothers dog) but it is much worse, I'm thinking that probably the people who took her, there dog might have attacked her or something.

How can I make rex seem less threatening to her. And how can I make him feel safe around her??
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Congratulations on getting your cat back! :)

I would just give the two of them time. I have often introduced new animals into the house, and there will be a period of adjustment. Sometimes I've thought that things were never going to work out, and eventually they prove me wrong.

They may not be best friends, but they will learn that they both belong there, and will adapt and adjust.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 12:28 PM

I agree with Jake.

For now give it time, but make sure never to leave the two of them alone together at this point. Supervised visitation for both.

Rex will probably adjust sooner than kitty, he's already at home, she's just come back, has to get comfy again.

Time, patience and love, I'm sure things will work out. :)

Feb 28, 2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the advice you guys. I don't ever leave them alone together unsupervised. And the funny thing is, I'm not worried about rex hurting her, I'm worried about her hurting rex. Since we got her yesterday she must have tried to claw him 5 times, 4 of which I stepped in and she got me. I' just scared she will get him in the eye.

Mar 30, 2009, 09:12 AM

Hi guys I figured it was time for an update. Well its been over a month since I got my cat back and wow what a change in her. She used to hide under our dishwasher,but not anymore. She'll even go outside and stay around. Her an Rex have made big improvements. The cat hardly ever hisses at him anymore(only about 2-3 times a week) and never tries to scratch him.

She loves it at our house we have a carrier in our living room and she always goes in their(on her on as the door is always open). All throw a tennis ball for rex and she will go get it. Even today for the first time she actually rubbed up against rex and meowed at him. It was amazing. Slowly they are becoming to be good friends.

I thought I would never see her do this as the people who had taken her had a dog and she was always scared of him the whole year she was there. It took her about 4 weeks to get used to rex.

But the biggest improvement yet the way the my other cat gets along with my new one. Before Princess was taken her and my other cat sox were best friends(they were sisters) they followed each other everywhere and always played fighting and cleaned each other.

But when we first showed them to each other sox hissed at princess this broke my heart as they used to be so close. And now they couldn't be in the same room. We gave it time and step by step they got closer. First they both slept in the same place. Then the next they stopped hissing at each other, after that they could eat together. Then the day came last week when they started play fighting just like they used to and a few days later this:

Caution: This video contains extreme cuteness, a must see watch for any animal lover.

The black one is princess and the grey and white one is sox.

PrincessandSox.flv video by AleeRex - Photobucket

The next video will be of rex with themLOL.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    Hi guys I figured it was time for an update. Well its been over a month since I got my cat back and wow what a change in her. She used to hide under our dishwasher,but not anymore. She'll even go outside and stay around. Her an Rex have made big improvements. The cat hardly ever hisses at him anymore(only about 2-3 times a week) and never tries to scratch him.

She loves it at our house we have a carrier in our living room and she always goes in their(on her on as the door is always open). All throw a tennis ball for rex and she will go get it. Even today for the first time she actually rubbed up against rex and meowed at him. It was amazing. Slowly they are becoming to be good friends.

I thought i would never see her do this as the people who had taken her had a dog and she was always scared of him the whole year she was there. It took her about 4 weeks to get used to rex.

But the biggest improvement yet the way the my other cat gets along with my new one. Before Princess was taken her and my other cat sox were best friends(they were sisters) they followed each other everywhere and always played fighting and cleaned each other.

But when we first showed them to each other sox hissed at princess this broke my heart as they used to be so close. And now they couldn't be in the same room. We gave it time and step by step they got closer. First they both slept in the same place. Then the next they stopped hissing at each other, after that they could eat together. Then the day came last week when they started play fighting just like they used to and a few days later this:

Caution: This video contains extreme cuteness, a must see watch for any animal lover.

The black one is princess and the grey and white one is sox.

PrincessandSox.flv video by AleeRex - Photobucket

The next video will be of rex with themLOL.
    Now that you have her back safe and sound, have you given any thought to keeping her inside? It really is not a good idea to leave a cat outside unattended to roam around.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 02:14 PM

Great video! Glad everything turned out good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Anuitty tables [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone explain annuitties in lay mans terms.

Help with Multiplication tables [ 25 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old in 2nd grade. They are learning their multiplication tables, but my daughter is just not retaining anything we go over. We have tried just having her memorize and we have tried explaining that 2 x 3 is 2 added up 3 times. I have tried flash cards, quizzing her, etc. Any...

Error in tables [ 1 Answers ]

table1 product pk is productID table2 problems pk is problemID table3 severity pk is severityId table4 users pk is userID when I used in vb.net then message is incorrect syntes near inner Const sSelect As String = "select problems.problemID," & "problems.reportedon," &...

View more questions Search