Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kts64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
    History of leather top furniture
    Can anybody tell me the history of leather top furniture, was it due to the lack of other materials during a war or something?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 05:37 PM

The History of Leather

The leather industry is one the oldest industries known to mankind. Our earliest ancestors used skins to protect their body, hands and feet. Leather is made from the skin of any animal, reptile, bird or fish through a process known as tanning. This process preserves the skin which would otherwise quickly putrefy or decay.

Today the leather industry is scientifically based. Research is continually carried out to ensure the product is improved using the latest technology to meet modern day needs. With few exceptions hides and skins are byproducts. Animals are reared for meat, milk and wool, not for the value of their skins. As a consequence, the tanner is not able to control the supply of raw hides. Hides are traded as a commodity all over the world on open markets and in competition with other tanners on a global basis. As a result, when demand is heavy, prices soar. Additionally even minor variations in economies and currency can cause major fluctuations in raw hide prices. The availability of cattle hides for leather is however fundamentally dependent upon consumer demand for beef. Today worldwide, at least half the leather produced goes into footwear, and around a quarter into clothing. Only around 15% goes into upholstery and the rest into small leather goods and other consumer products. Because of its durability and comfort, leather has been used for seating purposes throughout the history of transportation and furniture. The early leathers were made from cowhide, calfskin, pigskin, deerskin, and goatskin leathers. The hides and skins coming from animals either hunted or farmed for food purposes. The present trend is for most upholstery to be made from Bovine material (that is to say cattle hides) as this is readily available and best lends itself to the modern demands of designer, producer and consumer. Far from waning in popularity, leather continues to be the material of choice for many people, not just for corporate and domestic furniture but for automotive, aviation and marine applications as well.
    seatschair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
    Leather has played an important role in the development of civilisation. From prehistoric times man has used the skins of animals to satisfy his basic needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use lace curtains with leather and fabric furniture? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm redecorating and have a huge window in my living room with beautiful cream colored lace curtains. I want to get a black sofa to go with my red and tan walls. The carpeting is cream/tan blend. I plan to get a fabric chair and add pillows to match on the black sofa. Would my lace curtains...

History and or haunted history records on a residential home [ 4 Answers ]

Would like to get free information re: a homes history or haunted history by researching prior tenants or owners to a property located in Vacaville, California. Address: 125 Andover Drive Vacaville CA 95687 curious as to anyone having information on suicide death at this residence. Please help.

Mixing colors of leather furniture.(with pictures) [ 2 Answers ]

We have a saddle colored leather sofa that is 6.5 years old now with 2 matching ottomans. This is in a family room/gameroom of our house. There are no tables as a lot of TV watching/game playing etc. happens in the center of the floor - usually on bean bags. I would like to add a rocker/recliner...

Leather Furniture Repair [ 3 Answers ]

How do I repair a huge hole in leather furniture??

Leather dye. [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to change color of a leather recliner. It is leather only where you touch it. Other than that it is vinyl. This will be my first attempt and would like to know what products are out there and where to find them.

View more questions Search